VMware Cloud Community
jayhebe1983
Contributor
Contributor

An odd task entry in vCloud Director environment - Virtual SAN objects available for provisioning

Hi all,

Recently I deployed vCloud Director 5.5.4 in my test environment and integrated with Virtual SAN, when I finished prepare my provider vCD I found there is an odd task entry in my recent task: Virtual SAN objects available for provisioning, and it occurred every 5 minues, please see the screenshot.

10-25-2015 16-24-10 PM.png

I simply describe my test environment:

1 vCenter Server

2 Clusters, 1 for vCloud director, 1 for Horizon View

vCloud director cluster uses vSphere 6.0 U1a, vCloud director 5.5.4 and vShield Manager 5.5.4

View cluster uses vSphere 6.0 and Horizon View 6.0

Both cluster have the same problem you can see that from the screenshot above.

Could anyone tell me what is this task used for or if I can turn off triggering this task ?

Thanks a lot.

Br,

Jay

3 Replies
jayhebe1983
Contributor
Contributor

No one knows ?

0 Kudos
linotelera
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Never happens to me, but first could you check about warning in the cluster?

Seems that this product interop matrix is not fully supported:

pastedImage_0.png

Please refer to VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes and check all these products.

Could you post vcenter log?

0 Kudos
jetaylor
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Jay,

In vCenter 6.x, the “Virtual SAN objects available for provisioning” task gets called during a storage-policy-aware VM provisioning task. This task gets called to ensure that the provisioning task will be able to succeed in the cluster and to aid the provisioning wizard if it is being used. This task is usually called at least twice during a provisioning operation that verifies or changes a Virtual SAN storage policy during deployment.

This task occurring during VM deployment operations in vCenter 6.x is normal, regardless of Virtual SAN version (though more information is obtained as a result in VSAN 6.x). In infrastructures with large volumes of deployment activity (like vCloud Director), this message will be seen more often.

This message is not an error, warning or alert condition. This message is generated because the vCenter task is executed and the execution gets recorded in a visible way (much like, for example, how a backup utility’s snapshot tasks are visible in vCenter even though they are automatic). These messages are a normal part of policy-aware provisioning on VSAN with vCenter 6.x and are not a cause for concern. They do not appear in the “Recent Tasks” section of the vSphere Web Client when the Client is using default settings. They will appear in the “Recent Tasks” pane in the legacy client and they can always be found by examining the cluster-level Tasks viewer in either client.

I hope this helps,

~Jeffrey Taylor

P.S. Per the interoperability matrix (VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes), vCD 5.5.4 is good to go with VSAN 6.0, though it apparently has not been validated for VSAN 6.1 (6.0/U1) yet.