VMware Cloud Community
b0rbb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Allocation Pool Org vDC showing "Infinity" for CPU Allocation (vCD 5.1.1)

Just wanted to see if anyone else has ever seen this occur, as I'm now seeing this happen in three separate vCD 5.1.1 sites (with separate vCenter Servers & ESXi 5.1 hosts backing them):

1.) Create a Pay As You Go Org vDC, and create a published catalog and present templates that were created within this PAYG Org vDC.

2.) Create multiple Allocation Pool Org vDCs, and attempt to deploy vApps from the published templates in the PAYG Org vDC.

3.) After about 1-2 minutes of powering on these deployed templates, if you go "into" the Org (by double clicking the Org or Org vDC from the System Org), then to the Administration area, then click on Virtual Datacenters in the left navbar.  Right click the Org vDC that comes up in the list of Org vDCs (these are the Allocation Pool ones), and select "Properties"

4.) Select the "Allocation" tab in the modal window that comes up, and your "Allocation" for CPU is now listed as "Infinity," regardless of what it was set to whenever the Org vDC was made.

5.) If you right click the Org vDC from the list of Org vDCs within the System org, select properties then go to this Allocation tab, the CPU Allocation value will show the correct value that was set when the Org vDC was made.

6.) If one were to make an actual change to the Org vDC Allocation Properties as described in (4), it will apply a limit to the Resource Pool backing this Org vDC with the slider all the way over to the right for CPU Limit.  Typically, Allocation Pool Org vDCs will have their Resource Pool set to Unlimited, with Unlimited Reservation.  This change actually unchecks the unlimited resrvation for the resource pool, and sets the limit to the max compute available in the parent resource pool (typically what backs the Provider vDC).

Even more odd, if I power off all the vApps in an Allocation Pool Org vDC when this occurs, the "Infinity" value goes back to the original value set when the Org vDC was made.  If I delete all the deployed VMs from the templates in the PAYG Org with the published catalog, and just attempt to create a BRAND NEW VM and vApp from scratch in the Allocation Pool Org vDC... after a couple of minutes of being powered on the CPU Allocation goes back to "Infinity".

I've also attached a screenshot to show you what I mean by the Org vDC CPU allocation showing as "Infinity".

I'll probably be getting an SR request in for this shortly, but just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone else has run into this before.  My personal theory is that since the template is coming from a PAYG Org vDC, where the CPU Allocation was already "Unlimited", the templates from that Org are carrying over something even when deployed to non PAYG Org vDCs.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Instead of viewing these values from the Organization itself, can you go into the System > Organization vDCs list > right click the vDC and see if you can set/update/revert the value there?

IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

additionally:

1. yes, I have seen this before ... using the alternative point of view I described should work around the problem for now.

2. Please do file a support request, as there are some additional steps to fix this if required.

0 Kudos
b0rbb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, we were able to confirm changing the Org vDC values from the System org view does in fact show the correct values, and does allow us to update any weird "Infinity" numbers that come up from setting the changes in the Org vDC properties (from editing within the Org itself).

I'll follow up with Support regarding the SR I put in last night for this as well, just wanted to see if anyone else had run into this yet as in my steps to try to get this in a reproducible state were driving me a bit batty Smiley Happy

0 Kudos