VMware Cloud Community
Cronistar
Contributor
Contributor

5.5 Download permission?

Is it possible to restrict the ability to download a vApp as an OVF? In our environment, we can't allow the machines to leave our contained VCD environment, but it doesn't seem that it's possible to prevent users from being able to download catalog items they have Read access to.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do you want to restrict your users from deploying vApp from OVF? Correct me if i got it wrong.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
Cronistar
Contributor
Contributor

Opposite actually Smiley Happy. Users can export a vApp from the vCloud UI to an OVF onto their desktops. I'm trying to find a way to restrict users from doing this.

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert

Under role rights some right exist around this...  I have not tested in VCD 5.5 to see if the behavior has changed.  But in VCD 5.1 under "All Rights":"Catalog Item" you can "Enable vAppTemplate/Media Download"

Have you check to see if this right cascades down to the direct vApp, (not sure if VMware missed this one or just joined the right)

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Cronistar
Contributor
Contributor

Just checked to make sure, but the permission doesn't seem to cascade. You can restrict a user from downloading a vApp Template, but they can get around the restriction by just instantiating the vApp and downloading it from the My Cloud tab.

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert

I have tested - yep we have same problem.  I opened a support case with VMware on this.  Might be worth doing it yourself.  (They should see my case, but if not suggest they link them to speed a solution up)

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Cronistar
Contributor
Contributor

Confirmation feels good!

I opened a case too, hopefully we'll see a quick fix!

0 Kudos
brianoc
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Cronistar. Were you able to get a resolution from support on this? I would like to do the same in my environment!

0 Kudos
Cronistar
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, no. They said they're putting it on the bug list and hope it'll make it to the next release.

In the meantime, there wasn't any fix available, so we're just living with it crossing our fingers.

0 Kudos
brianoc
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ah well! Thanks for letting me know.

0 Kudos