VMware Cloud Community
ccinatl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

5.1 to 5.5 Upgrade question

testing my upgrade process for 5.5.

upgraded vcloud, DB, and then vshield.  documentation says I need to upgrade all the edge devices.  is that necessary right away?  we have a ton of them b/c we use vApp networks. 

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you don't have to do it right away.  Most features will still work as is with the legacy Edge devices deployed.

however, you should schedule some time in the future where you can redeploy (routed org networks) or restart vApps (vapp networks with edge devices).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

no

IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you don't have to do it right away.  Most features will still work as is with the legacy Edge devices deployed.

however, you should schedule some time in the future where you can redeploy (routed org networks) or restart vApps (vapp networks with edge devices).

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The right way to upgrade is to redeploy gateways and "reset network" for fenced/routed vApp nets

0 Kudos
ccinatl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks.  i was thinking reset network would work since it deploys new but most of the doc i have read said to do it from the vshield gui. 

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have a number of customers that run a script against vShield Manager directly to call the upgrade on the edge device, and do a max of 10 at the same time.  this automates and throttles the process.

it doesn't matter, afaik, if you call the upgrade from vCD or vShield ... vShield Manager should just publish the current running config to the upgraded edge once it has been deployed.

ndalal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We always recommend to perform any operation on Edge through VCD (VCD managed edges), as VCD stores lots of info about the edge. Performing any actions directly on edge through vShield Manager (on vcenetr) can push the edge in some out-of-sych state for VCD.

0 Kudos