VMware {code} Community
bsvinis
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Network Card ResourceSubType

I'm having an issue where whenever I issue a call to get the virtual adapters as part of a VM contained within a vApp, the resourcesubtype always seems to be PCNet32, disregarding what it originally should be. I've created a vApp with a single VM with each type of net adapter, but they all show as PCNet32 for the subtype.

Anyone else encountering this issue?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
bsvinis
Contributor
Contributor

In addition, whenever i try to specify a different resourcesubtype it is adding the NICs as E1000 adapters to virtual machine, regardless of the resourcesubtype i specify.

Am I missing something here?

0 Kudos
johanneshiemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Which API and Version are you using?

0 Kudos
bsvinis
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using the PHP SDK version 1.5.0, which i believe is based around the REST API 1.5.

0 Kudos
johanneshiemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

okay I only know it from Java. You can define a ResourceSubType. Take look here:

http://blogs.vmware.com/vapp/2009/11/virtual-hardware-in-ovf-part-1.html

0 Kudos
bsvinis
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I understand that. My problem is that even if I assign a ResourceSubType to VmxNet3 when adding a NIC to a virtual machine, vCloud director still adds an E1000 adapter to that machine, rather than a VmxNet3 type.

Also, if I query the virtual hardware, the response returns PCNet32 always.

Could you verify what you get in return when you query the ResourceSubType of a vmnic?

0 Kudos
johanneshiemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I think this adapter type is the default one, as I can't see any option to define another adapter type in the vCD frontend. I never tried to change it on the network adapter, just on the HD controller which worked.

So perhaps we need to ask Rajesh Kamal.

0 Kudos
bsvinis
Contributor
Contributor

In the vCD GUI when you are modifying a VM, there is a checkbox above the NIC table that says show adapter type, which allows you to select the type of adapter when you are adding a new one to the virtual machine.

I'm not trying to change any existing ones, just adding new ones while specifying the new SubResourceType. But vCD seems to ignore this setting. In addition, existing ones get changed to E1000 in vCD GUI, but not on the actual virtual machine in vCenter, because when I'm adding a new one I believe we have to submit a list including the old ones. This is why I began investigating why vCD is saying all of them are PCNet32 type.

I thought that I must be setting something incorrectly when I am specifying the NIC type (SubResourceType) to vCD.

0 Kudos
rkamal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

This looks like a bug/limitation in the vCloud API.

Logged a bug internally.

Regards,

Rajesh Kamal.

0 Kudos
virtteam
Contributor
Contributor

Rajesh,

While you are logging that bug, could you also take a look at this thread for similar behavior on another setting?

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/333301

Setting the RetainNetInfoAcrossDeployments setting on a vApp does not seem to take on the vCD side. The request goes through fine but nothing ever happens on the vCD side and subsequent calls to PHP API getRetainNetInfoAcrossDeployments seems to always return false.

Thanks,

Bjorn Svinis

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am seeing this same behavior with all the current 5.1 products using Orchestrator... what gives?  Is this a confirmed bug?  Is this by design?  Am I doing something wrong on my side possibly?

I also posed a question here for full details and my sample code http://communities.vmware.com/message/2180252#2180252

0 Kudos