VMware {code} Community
number1vspheref
Contributor
Contributor

(Hopefully) Simple vCloud API Questions

Hello,

I have a couple of basic vCloud API questions that I hope can benefit from the wisdom of somebody on this forum ... I've searched through FAQs etc but would still appreciate some further clarification:

:smileyinfo: Am I correct in stating that to gain access to the vCloud API at the moment, this can only be done through accessing resources from a vCloud Express provider? In other words, standard vSphere installs don't expose the vCloud API?

(ii) If :smileyinfo: is correct - do all vCloud Express providers expose the vCloud API? I've seen a reference here to a couple of the vCloud Express providers but I would like to know if all of them expose a vCloud API.

(iii) Is there a difference between the vCloud Express API and the vCloud API? I've seen the phrase "vCloud Express API" used in some situations but to me this doesn't mean anything.

(iv) As of now, the only SDKs that are available for the vCloud API are the open-source Python and Java SDKs announces on January 20. I am aware that the vCloud API is a RESTful API but is there any way of developing software using C# and the vCloud API?

I'm not a developer, I'm interested in this technology from a strategic / solutions provider perspective so I hope these questions can be answered by vCloud API gurus on this site :smileyblush:

Thanks,

number1vspherefan.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BLjellis
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure of any client API implementations using C# (other than just using a C# REST framework as you mentioned), but I might be able to address the remaining questions.

The vCloud API doesn't necessarily have to be delivered alongside of Express, however that's most commonly the case. The vCloud API covers things not conventionally available in a vanilla vSphere install; many of the deployment and administration features (especially for isolation) are features available in Express but not necessarily available through vCenter alone.

Express providers don't necessarily have to expose the vCloud API, but that's most often the case. For example, our instance at BlueLock exposes the vCloud API in nearly the same context as the web admin portal itself, so they often march together with bugfixes, feature enhancements, etc.

So far, whenever I've seen the "Express API" mentioned in the forums the poster is mentioning the vCloud API. It's pretty much the only user-facing API I've seen implemented for Express.

Hope that helps!

admin
Immortal
Immortal

The vCloud API is currently only exposed by the various vCloud Express providers. vSphere itself does not implement/expose the vCloud API, but there will be products available from VMware that do.

There are a few minor differences between the various Express API implementations, which is why libcloud and jclouds mention which specific providers they support. Eventually all of the vCloud Express service providers will probably support the base vCloud API as defined in the specification/programming guide and potentially offer their own unique extensions in addition.

The API can be used from any language that has support for HTTP, but I am not aware of anyone working on a vCloud API C# client library at this time.