VMware {code} Community
pjkerpan
Contributor
Contributor

Folks on this forum using vCLoud API - what server are you hitting?

Hi,

I see specific questions about use of vCloud API on the forum here?   What vCloud provider or service are all of you hitting?  Is there a test server somewhere.  Quite possible I didn't read the documentation clearly enough.  Would love to work on integration to a vCloud environment.

thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BLjellis
Contributor
Contributor

There is no test server, but the vCloud API should be provided with any certified vCloud Datacenter (such as BlueLock)

pjkerpan
Contributor
Contributor

Hey BlueLock!  Thanks for the answer.  We were in your early early beta before it was available from VMware.

We will give Brian W. a shout.

0 Kudos
anniyan
Contributor
Contributor

Remember you can also use vCloud API with vCloud Express. Get an account with VMWare vCloud Express partners like Virtacore, Skytap or Terremark. Create a simple server and start testing your APIs against your server instance. It may cost you $0.06/hour. Pretty cheap. When you are done testing, remember to delete your instance so that you don't get billed after you shutdown your instance.

0 Kudos
pjkerpan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi thanks,

That is sort of the question I was asking.

I have been struggling to find a vCloud Express provider with vCloud 1.0 API support:

Currently:

Terremark - No

Virtacore - No

BlueLock - Until recently no, but they have completed an update I will be trying tonight.  Hopefully they now have full support.

If others of you know of vCloud Providers with FULL 1.0 support - please respond.

Cheers, and thanks..

pk

0 Kudos
anniyan
Contributor
Contributor

Good luck in finding a vCloud Express provider that supports API 1.0. vCloud API 1.0 was released only a few months back and it will take time for the providers to roll out the new version of API. I use both 0.8 (public - vCloud Express) and 1.0 (private - vCloud Director) and I find 1.0 less verbose and better than 0.8

0 Kudos
BLjellis
Contributor
Contributor

BlueLock does fully support vCloud API 1.0 - we provide the straight reference implementation provided by VMware. We launched this as part of our vCloud Datacenter beta in 2010, and we now fully support it as a production solution.

Several open source projects and commercial software vendors have worked with us to develop solutions leveraging the vCloud API. We consume it internally as well; we've built solutions on top of the 0.8 specification, 0.9 and finally 1.0

1.0 is definitely a fantastic solution and has sizable improvements over 0.8. Allocation information and OVF payloads as part of the API make resource management tons easier.

pjkerpan
Contributor
Contributor

Yep - I just logged into my bluelock account - THANKS!

0 Kudos