VMware {code} Community
wizardnjau
Contributor
Contributor

Can a vApp template have more than one VM?

Hello all,

I have build a organization, OvDC and catalog. And I create a vApp template with one VM. And go on another vApp template.

I have vApp-template-1, vApp-template-2, vApp-template3 and I use them to create a vApp named vApp-all with 3 VMs.

All seem OK.

And I right clicked on the vApp-all, I found that I could 'add to catalog'. So I did it. And I could see vApp-all in catalog vApp templates list.

I don't think vApp-all has already changed to a vApp template because I can no use it to create a new vApp.

What I want to know is:

1. can a vApp template have more than one VMs. Normally I create a vApp template by import from vShpere, and one VM to one vApp template.

2. When a add a vApp with more than one VMs to catalog, does that mean this vApp has changed to a template? If yes, how can I use it to build a vApp.

regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yes, one vApp Template/vApp can have multiple VMs inside.

Everything inside a catalog is a template (vApp Template).

When you instantiate the template what you are actually doing is creating a vApp.

When you use the "Add To Catalog" menu on a vApp you are creating a template from that vApp that you can later use to create new vApps.

What problems do you hit when you try to instantiate the newly created template ("Add To My Cloud" menu)?

wizardnjau
Contributor
Contributor

I can not select this vApp template when I want to add a vApp.

I think maybe the reason is that I failed to add the vApp to catalog. vCloud told me that failed to create, cannot capture...

A general system error occurred: The virtual machine requires the vCloud Center/system.service.vmware.vsla.vCloud Center service, which is not available on the host.
VirtualCenter task (moref: task-1218) failed in VirtualCenter '10.153.89.132' (2ee768cc-904e-4bcc-a0df-d403244dfbe2).

0 Kudos
wizardnjau
Contributor
Contributor

I guess all this is caused by wrong network or host timeout.

I use a host but cannot prepare in the vSphere resource-->hosts.

Failures occurred during prepare of host "10.153.147.54".
- The vCloud Director operation has timed out.
VirtualCenter task (moref: task-1228) failed in VirtualCenter '10.153.89.132' (2ee768cc-904e-4bcc-a0df-d403244dfbe2).
- Operation timed out.

I ssh this host, it needs 5s to login, I don't know whether this is too long.

So several days passed, none of My vApps can start.

I use portgroup for network, is that right? I guess there is something wrong with the network I create in vCloud and I am trying to fix it.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, you use portgroups for networks. But I think you might have problems with the host.

You can log in to the vCenter right? Any errors there?

You can try to reset the host settings and reattach it to the vCenter and then reattach it to vCD.

You first need to ensure that the host is prepared in vCD before trying anything else..

0 Kudos
mstefanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You need to prepare all hosts before you can create vApps and vApp templates on them.

The slow login can be caused by various reasons - overloaded host, overloaded network, the ESX may be configred to use external authentication service, which may be slow, etc.

Please ensure there is connectivity between vCloud and the ESX hosts. From the OS where vCloud is installed execute:

# ping -f -s 1300 -c 1000 10.153.147.54

make sure that there is 0% packet loss. If the received packets are less than the transmitted, there is some networking issue.

Again from the OS where vCloud is installed, check that the outgoing network connections to the ESX host(s) are not blocked by the OS firewall or any network firewall. You should be able to open https://10.153.147.54 in a browser from the OS where vCloud is installed. Alternatively you can use

# tcptraceroute 10.153.147.54 443

from the command prompt and see if the ESX host is reachable (tcptraceroute may not be installed by default).

0 Kudos