VMware {code} Community
reshmi39
Contributor
Contributor

Auto generated password returned as null by API

The admin password returned by the guest customization section of a VM in a vApp is always null though I can see the auto generated password in the VCD UI. The API returns the password as null. Could someone please help me with a solution? The adminpasswordauto, adminpasswordenabled are all set to true

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cfor
Expert
Expert

VMware told us this change was done on purpose for security.  We had to work with them to correct this in our setup.  I suggest you open a case and complain as well.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
reshmi39
Contributor
Contributor

I assume there is no work around as of now, right?

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert

Offically I am not sure, would need to check with VMware support on that.  However in looking at some dumps it looks like maybe the Get-Ovf operation maye have a section that has what looks to be the password. I have not fully tested this, but might be worth looking at.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

If you are on vCloud Director 5.1.1 or earlier, you should receive your password as expected via the API or SDK.

If you are on vCloud Director 5.1.2, this is true.  When you attempt to fetch the AdminPassword from the guest customization settings via the API, it will return as null.

The current workaround, though painful, is to get the OVF parameters which would still expose the Guest OS password.

I am not aware of any other workaround at this point.

We are still performing some actions internally.

0 Kudos