VMware Cloud Community
anandtrivedi200
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what will happen if vcenter server doesn't avalable if WAN link fails or vCenter non-available

Hi Friends,

we Manage vCenter 5.5 server , having 7 Datacenter and each data center having 2*Esxi 5.1 servers and each Esxi Server having Nos of VMs , all data center --> Esxi Servers in different - different  remote location and Managed at one main location , all datacenter /Esxi Servers / VM in one Domain.

My question is that if some times due to WAN Link down OR  vcenter Server not available for time being , at that time ESXi hosts doing HA , FA  , storage vMotion , vMotion activity.

What will be effect , ESXi server's ( at remote Location) HA , FT ,vMotion , Storage vMotoin will be available or not?

what will be best solutions for this type of scenario.

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AdarshGowda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi anandtrivedi2002

all the technology you have mentioned are having different kind of minimum and maximums to work so we cant say that all work/dont work in your conditions.

Having link balance / alter net WAN connection which auto switch over if one link go faulty may solve your problem.

Regards,

Adarsh.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What will be effect , ESXi server's ( at remote Location) HA , FT ,vMotion , Storage vMotoin will be available or not?

From the features you mentioned only HA and FT will continue to work if vCenter Server isn't available for whatever reason. vCenter Server is only required to configure HA and FT. The other features are triggered/initiated from vCenter Server, so they will not be available until the vCenter Server connection is up again.

I can't tell you for sure what exactly will happen for currently running vMotion/svMotion processes if the connection to vCenter Server is lost, but I guess the processes will stop, and leave the VMs in a more or less undefined state.

André

anandtrivedi200
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Adarsh

anandtrivedi200
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Andre...