VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

what will be detect in beacon probing mode (Nic teaming)

Dear all

Hi

As i know while we use Link status only for teaming and failover Detects failures, such as removed cables and physical switch power failures.

but in beacon probing mode it is not clear that when can we use from this mode in all of document just quotation :

"Sends out and listens for Ethernet broadcast frames, or beacon probes, that physical NICs send to detect link failure in all physical NICs in a team. ESXi hosts send beacon packets every second. Beacon probing is most useful to detect failures in the closest physical switch to the ESXi host, where the failure does not cause a link-down event for the host. Use beacon probing with three or more NICs in a team because ESXi can detect failures of a single adapter. If only two NICs are assigned and one of them loses connectivity, the switch cannot determine which NIC needs to be taken out of service because both do not receive beacons and as a result all packets sent to both uplinks. Using at least three NICs in such a team allows for n-2 failures where n is the number of NICs in the team before reaching an ambiguous situation.  "

can you say me what will be detect while i use this mode?

BR

Babak

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

This is why you need to do a few Google searches before posting:  https://vswitchzero.com/2017/06/18/beacon-probing-deep-dive/

0 Kudos