VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

what happen for FT protected vm after HA

Dear all

hi

i use vcsa 6.5 and i have 2 host in my cluster i have enabled FT on one of my vm1 that is on host1 and it shadow is on host2 now i want to know if host1 has been failed

what will be happen for vm1 and that's shadow HA will be do and vm1 migrate to host2 or shadow of vm1 will be start on host2?

BR

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
12 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Question 7 in this KB answers your subject here

VMware Knowledge Base

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Dear friend

i understand these :

1- if the esxi host that my primary (protected VM) is on that failed, the secondary vm on the other host will be continue via FT and secondary vm will not restart but primary vm (protected vm ) will be restart on the other host

2- if the second host that my secondary vm is on that failed the secondary vm will be restart on the other host

is that correct ?

BR

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

That is correct.

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

ok

you said correct, means when my first esxi host that my protected vm via FT is on that.  secondary(shadow vm) will be start but now in this mode

primary vm will be restart on the other host and also secondary vm is up now both of them are up what do i have to do ?

BR

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

see below article for Design and Configuration of vSphere Fault Tolerance. Hope you will have good idea about it.

Design and Configuration of vSphere Fault Tolerance -- Virtualization Review

Regards,

Randhir

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful

msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I think you might be missing reading documentation, FAQ question 10 gives you answer as well. Please go through all the questions and respective answers which may clear your doubts. FT does the work mostly because it has advanced parameters set for those virtual machine when FT is enabled... Go thru the FAQ's completely... VMware does expect these questions and are tested for years now and have these KB articles..

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

The primary goal of using FT is for 100% uptime. When the first host fails which has the primary VM, the FT does transparent failover and secondary VM will become primary with zero downtime. Meanwhile, if you have any other hosts in the cluster a the secondary VM will be restarted there. In you scenario , you have only two hosts and one of the host fails,so FT will wait for second host to come up , it will not start the primary VM on the other node , FT follows anti affinity policy that is both primary and secondary cant be in same host.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

so thanks

but i want to know when i have 2 esxi host and primary vm that is on host1 and secondary is on host2 you said when host1 failed secondary vm role will be change to primary vm but want to know what happen will be do for  primary vm that now has been restarted on host2 ?

BR

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Primary VM and secondary VMs are replicating each other and exactly same, during host failure the VM will not be restarted on the second host where your secondary VM is already running which is promoted as primary now. In that case, your VM is running with FT without redundancy, FT will check for the availability of another host in the cluster, once if see another host it will start the secondary VM there.

Regards,
Suresh
0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

is that your means while we had 4 host and one of them that primary vm is on that has been failed the secondatu vm role will be change to primary and primary vm role

will be change to secondary and FT protection will be continue ?

BR

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Is that correct ?

BR

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Yes, that is correct.

Regards,
Suresh
0 Kudos