VMware Cloud Community
Uni_of_Newcastl
Contributor
Contributor

vmx file using absolute paths for scsi.fileName

Hi There

I've noticed in some virtual machines .vmx files that the value for the attribute scsi0:0.fileName is using a full absolute path where in other cases it's just uses the name (see below).

EXAMPLE USES FULL PATH

vmx file:

scsi0:0.fileName = "/vmfs/volumes/53bb9045-9b237bb4-4aa2-982be10ff62a/<vm-folder>/<vm-name>.vmdk"

EXAMPLE USES JUST THE NAME (PREFERRED)

vmx file:

scsi0:0.fileName = "<vm-name>.vmdk"

What situation would cause vSphere to write the full absolute path I.E. '/vmfs/volumes/xxxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxxx/vm-folder/vm-name.vmdk in the .vmx file appose to just writing the vm-name.vmdk name?

Cheers,

Dean

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dhanarajramesh

scsi0:0.fileName = ".vmdk" will be created when you are creating new disk in particular data store.  and scsi0:0.fileName = "/vmfs/volumes/53bb9045-9b237bb4-4aa2-982be10ff62a//.vmdk" will be created when you are mapping  RDM disk from another data store virtual disk file (Mapping file).

Uni_of_Newcastl
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. The interesting thing is we don't have or ever required a virtual machine with a RDM disk. So I see where you're going with it but I'm still unsure how we've ended up with some vm's with the full/absolute path because we've never used disks that were RDM's.

Cheers

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The absolute path entry is not specific to RDMs. It is used for virtual disks (or other mapped files, like e.g. .iso images) which are located in a folder other than the VM's "home" folder.

André

0 Kudos