VMware Cloud Community
maxinar
Contributor
Contributor

vmsvc-DEBUG (recursed): RpcOut: couldn't open channel with RPCI protocol aborting...

Not sure if i'm posting in the proper place. I have 3 esxi 5.1 servers in a cluster. I have 2 terminal server Windows 2003 x86 guests that are causing me fits. The vmtools quit spontaneously and I get the above error, (I have attached a .jpg of the error). In order to get the tools to restart, I have to stop and restart the print spooler, then restart the vmtools and they will run fine for a period of 2-5 hours and then stop again. I have googled this till i'm blue in the face and have found nothing. Some more background...esxi 5.1 servers are brand new, all my guest server OS's were previously running on an esx 4.1 cluster. I have many terminal servers running different versions, I never had any problems with any of my 2008 R2 servers doing this, but had issues with 3 other 2003 x64 servers and the way I fixed them was removing some different HP universal print drivers. I have removed these drivers from these 2 servers that are still causing me problems. I don't get any other errors, the tools stop and the OS starts behaving sluggishly which is unacceptable in my environment. Please HELP !!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
flash600
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've the same error... do you resolved this?

I've installed older tools (from esxi5.0), these are working.

0 Kudos
maxinar
Contributor
Contributor

Yes in a round about way. The error somehow comes from the tools.conf. I have 14 Windows Terminal servers, all flavors, when I upgraded to new hosts with 5.1 I got errors about every 2 seconds in the app logs and the fix was to add some lines into the tools.conf. It fixed the app logs but created the above errors. I made the below my tools.conf

[logging]
vmusr.level = error

and the errors went away, but logging is turned off.

regards

0 Kudos
flash600
Contributor
Contributor

and the win. eventlog is full error/warnings, right?

0 Kudos
maxinar
Contributor
Contributor

Not now no.

0 Kudos
Preffered
Contributor
Contributor

We experience exacly the same issue. Did you already find a way to solve this?

And is it a specific version of universal HP driver which solved this for you on the other 2k3 servers?

Thank you in advance,

0 Kudos
mightyvarun
Contributor
Contributor

We are also getting the same issue , Did anyone find fix ?

~Thanks

0 Kudos
boromicmfcu
Contributor
Contributor

Are you having issues with VM Tools 9.0.10, build-1481436 on ESXi 5.1 fully patched with 2003 guests? I am having some issues with a few 2003 x86 guests under this build.  I was able to back rev them to 9.0.5, build 1137270 and the problems went away on both guests. I have a 2003 terminal/Citrtix server and with the latest VM tools installed, connectivity though the Citrix client becomes buggy (slow and the first connection fails). I also experienced issues with the spooler service crashing under this build.  The OS seemed sluggish as well.  No HP universal drivers, but there are HP drivers installed for terminal server printers....it sounds like your problem persists on your x86 guests even after the removal of the universal drivers.  I also have another 2003 x86 serer running Windows Server Updates Services.  I was getting sluggish response and reset server node connections when managing the WSUS server though the MMC console.  Per Support, I took the VM tool current again on the WSUS guest but I then removed the vmxnet3 vNIC and replaced it with e1000 vNIC, but the problem persists.

0 Kudos