VMware Cloud Community
michelvaillanco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vmotion won't work when when vm machine is runing

Hi,

I am trying to test my VMotion in a lab environment but it doesnt seem to work when the VM machine is runing.

when I shutdown the VM and try to migrant it manually then every thing seems to work just fine. but when the VM is runing and I try the same thing as before then the migration start and after 14% get stack and a general error appear." The vMotion migrations failed because the ESX hosts were not able to connect over the vMotion network. Check the vMotion network settings and physical network configuration"

I need Help,

Michel vaillancourt

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
michelvaillanco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

the problem was in my Cisco router. the vlans was not configure correctly.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The error message actually points to the issue. please provide some details about the ESXi hosts' virtual network setup. Basically the vMotion VMkernel ports should be configured with IP addresses in a dedicated subnet (e.g. 192.168.x.x/24) and must not be routed.

André

0 Kudos
Sateesh_vCloud
Jump to solution

Please check below article:

VMware KB: vMotion fails at 14% despite vmkping succeeding from source to target IP address

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
michelvaillanco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

could it be because I am using an nfs storage? that is why the vmotion wont work?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, vMotion is supported on NFS data stores if it is shared.

Can you try to ping your ESX vMotion network by using "vmkping <ip of vmotion network>" from the ESX host and see if it is pinging.

Thanks,

DJ

0 Kudos
michelvaillanco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes i did, I sent a ping from one esxi to the ather  but it could not pass..

michel

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please provide brief overview of your ESXi host' virtual network settings, and the physical switch you are using?

André

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

>yes i did, I sent a ping from one esxi to the ather  but it could not pass..

In this case there is some problem over your physical network because it could not ping. You need to make sure that both the vMotion nics have connectivity with each other. Also make sure that you have configured vMotion switch properly.

Thanks,

DJ

0 Kudos
michelvaillanco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

the problem was in my Cisco router. the vlans was not configure correctly.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos