VMware Cloud Community
yobah
Contributor
Contributor

vmotion fails. msg.vmk.status.VMK_IS_DISCONNECTED (195887150).

Morning All,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction, as I have now ran out of idea with this very strange vMotion issue.

Within one of my datacentres, I have two esxi servers, esx01 and esx02, which are connected to two 10Gb switches.

Each esx server has two 10Gb adapters (vmnic06 and vmnic07) which are configured in a distrbuted switch. We then have a number of

port groups.

I have a vmkernel (vmk3) configured on both nodes that sit within a dedicated portgroup (none routeable vlan) which is configured for vmotion. Vmotion is not set anywhere else.

So, when I do a vmotion while the VM is online from esx01 to esx02, it works without issue. However, when I try to vmotion from esx02 back to esx01, it fails at 14% with the following error:

Migration to host <IP> failed with error msg.vmk.status.VMK_ECONNRESET (195887179).

The migration transfer failed during the receive operation to socket 71509975775520: received 0/72 bytes: Connection reset by peer

And

msg.vmk.status.VMK_IS_DISCONNECTED (195887150).

If the VM is shutdown, it migrates without issue.

Now, if I remove vmnic7 from the DVS on esx01, it works without issue.

VMKPing, pings etc all work from the cli.

All vlans are configured on the ports.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
11 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

if you are expecting multiple VMNICs to leverage you with vMotion, are you following right guide lines of doing this.

VMware KB: Multiple-NIC vMotion in vSphere 5

please refer second part of this KB which explains how to

Setting up multi-NIC vMotion in vSphere 5.x on a distributed vSwitch

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
yobah
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply Narendra .

I have set it up like that yes. Sorry, I had forgot to mention that I have tested the NIC order by setting vmnic7 as the Active and I get the same error.

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
adamsky00
Contributor
Contributor

Good Afternoon,

Did you ever get this resolved?

We are having the exact same issue, we can migrate it if its shut down but not if its turn on. Also the backups from Veeam fail to any VM's on this host.

Error when trying to vMotion:

failed with error msg.vmk.status.VMK_IS_DISCONNECTED (195887150).

failed writing stream completion: Already disconnected

failed to flush stream buffer: Already disconnected

socket connected returned: Already disconnected

Running VM 5.5.0 2068190

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Adam

0 Kudos
sicnarf_latosa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have the same issue. Please update if any resolution on below issue. Tnx

Error when trying to vMotion:

failed with error msg.vmk.status.VMK_IS_DISCONNECTED (195887150).

failed writing stream completion: Already disconnected

failed to flush stream buffer: Already disconnected

socket connected returned: Already disconnected

0 Kudos
GenX88
Contributor
Contributor

Got the same error as you.  Replaced SG300-28 with SG300-52 and forgot to re-enable Jumbo Frames.  Enabled Jumbo Frames, rebooted switched and multi-NIC vMotion is working well.

Not sure if it's the same cause for you, I used the steps in this KB to get my solution.  VMware KB: vMotion fails with the error: Migration to host <> failed with error

0 Kudos
sicnarf_latosa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Guys,

In my case rebooting the host fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
adamsky00
Contributor
Contributor

We still have the issue outstanding.

I have rebuilt the server 3 times and still cant figure it out, we have implemented new switches but they don't have Jumbo enabled on any by default and have been double checked.

Thanks

Adam

0 Kudos
sicnarf_latosa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Adam,

Can you provide screen capture on ur Networking.

- Check vswitch MTU setting it should be 1500 by default it must be the same with ur portgroup MTU on vmotion

- Check the ip address if it is correct and do some basic test ling ping test

- Check vMotion portgroup if vMotion box is Check on General -> under Port Properties 

- How many ESXi host faced this issue did you test other host if encounter the same?

- Try to test migrate vm from destination to source and from source to destination. Update us here if witch test failed to vmotion the vm.

0 Kudos
cyberpaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same issue with 5.5U2, build 2718055 (Dell image). Clean install, ping working, MTU properly set in GUI. Rebooting the host resolved the problem.

If you encounter the same, I recommend checking all steps in KB 1030267. If it doesn't help, definitely give the reboot a try.

0 Kudos
giridharaprasad
Contributor
Contributor

Faced the same problem. Check if vmotion is disabled in one of the hosts. Check all the network adopters especially the management network. Enable/disable vmotion only on the intended adopters and attempt migrating virtual machines.   

0 Kudos
Jimmy15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I encountered the same issue , in my case VLAN was not tagged correctly with VMNIC0 where vmk2 (vmkernel port for vMotion) was configured.

I checked vkping to the peer and gateway IP address , both failed.

Solution:

I changed the NIC preference order for vmk2 to use VMNIC1 first where all VLANs were tagged properly. and it worked for me.

Regards

Smiley Happy Pankaj

regards

PS: Mark kudos or correct answer as appropriate 🙂
0 Kudos