VMware Cloud Community
fujicolor
Contributor
Contributor

vmotion 21%

Dear all,

we have 2 serperate vm enviroments, and we try to migrate hosts with vm`s from the old 6.0 enviroment to the new 6.7 enviroment.

this works , i remove a host ( with running vm`s ) from the old 6.0 and add it to the 6.7 enviroment.

when i try to migrate ( vmotion ) in the new enviroment from one host to the other host, vmotion fails at 21%

the only way it works is to shut down the vm and then migrate, this works.

only we would like to keep the vm`s running, is there a option to keep the vm`s running and migrate ( vmotion )

the old host is 6.0 and the new is 6.7 ESXI

thanks for all your reply

best regards

jeff

8 Replies
kenbshinn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you getting an error message when the vMotion fails? Have you checked the vCenter logs to see what is going on at that time?

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Hi

Check if the following VMware KB article helps: vMotion stuck at 21 % | UP2V

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
fujicolor
Contributor
Contributor

this is my error, but why can I vmotion migrate when the vm`s are powered off, and not when they are running.

networks have been checked and seem to be in order

The vMotion failed because the destination host did not receive data from the source host on the vMotion network. Please check your vMotion network settings and physical network configuration and ensure they are correct.

thanks for all the reply`s

br

jeff

0 Kudos
kenbshinn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The reason it works when the VM is offline is because you are doing an offline migration which does not require having to migrate the VM State and Memory to a new server. It is really just a file transfer that that point.

Take a look at this KB Article this should have an answer for your issue:

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
ChrisFD2
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you vmkping between vMotion vmk interfaces? Network all up, no half duplex anywhere?

Regards,
Chris
VCIX-DCV 2023 | VCIX-NV 2023 | vExpert *** | CCNA R&S
0 Kudos
Avon
Contributor
Contributor

I just had the same problem. vMotion stuck @ 21% then the "The vMotion failed because the destination host did not receiver data from the source host..." message.

The vMotion interfaces all had the same MTU as did the switch ports.

The problem was some other admin had set a different VLAN ID on one of the hosts to the others.

Changing the source vMotion VLAN to match the target cleared the issue.

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is related to connectivity issues between the source ESXi and the destination one.

Make sure everything of this is working:

• VMkping works between the ESXi.
  • Check that the MTU on the ports where the vmnics are connected is the same or higher as used in the VMkernels.
  • If you are using VLAN Tagging for vMotion make sure that VLAN is propagated on all the ports where VMkernel has its uplinks connected.
  • In case doing vMotion over L3 make sure the routing is correctly configured and you are using a dedicated TCP/IP Stack overriding the gateway.
  • If you have more than one VMkernel for vMotion make sure that they can connect between them even different subnets (For test you can disable on of each in both ESXi)
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Can you please share the vMotion vmkernel configuration of both hosts?
Also, make sure that only vMotion dedicated vmkernels have vmotion service enabled?

Warm regards

0 Kudos