VMware Cloud Community
SebastianEr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmdird.service failed

My vCenter suddenly failes to start with "No Healthy upstream" in the Client.

After restarting the services i get "An error occurred while invoking external command : 'Stderr: Job for vmdird.service failed because the control process exited with error code.\nSee \"systemctl status vmdird.service\" and \"journalctl -xe\" for details.\n"

And by checking "journalctl -xe" it gives the following.

_VmDirOpenDbEnv: mdb_env_open failed on database /storage/db/vmware-vmdir/snapshot, MDB error -30793
MDBInitializeDB failed with error code: -30793, error string: MDB_INVALID: File is not an MDB file
VmDirInitBackend failed (-30793)
Service died: vmdir (restarted 2 times in 0 seconds)

I have no ide what to do from this point.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SebastianEr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmm, i deleted the data.mdb in /storage/db/vmware-vmdir/snapshot, resynced the time, reconnected to the Active Directory from CLI and it seems that it's working now.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Shen88
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

@SebastianEr, VMware Directory Service (vmdir) is a Multi-master LDAP database i.e. associated with the domain you specify during installation and it is also used for certificate management.

Please check /var/log/vmware/vmdird/vmdird-syslog.log to see what is preventing from it to start?

Also, to check the state of vmdir, run the following command: echo 6 | /usr/lib/vmware-vmdir/bin/vdcadmintool

If you see either of these 3 states (Null, Read-Only or Standalone) apart from 'Normal', I would suggest to raise an case with VMware Global Support (GSS) as this might require some expertise to fix.

If you think your queries have been answered, Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" and consider giving kudos to appreciate!

Regards,
Shen
0 Kudos
SebastianEr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What i could found in "/var/log/vmware/vmdird/vmdird-syslog.log" is only

_VmDirOpenDbEnv: mdb_env_open failed on database /storage/db/vmware-vmdir/snapshot, MDB error -30793
MDBInitializeDB failed with error code: -30793, error string: MDB_INVALID: File is not an MDB file
VmDirInitBackend failed (-30793)

"echo 6 | /usr/lib/vmware-vmdir/bin/vdcadmintool" returned  "GetVmDirState failed: VmDirGetState() failed. error(9127)"

0 Kudos
SebastianEr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmm, i deleted the data.mdb in /storage/db/vmware-vmdir/snapshot, resynced the time, reconnected to the Active Directory from CLI and it seems that it's working now.