VMware Cloud Community
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vm migration error

I cannot move some of the virtual servers on esxi hosts, which have different models on 4 esxi hosts, to other esxi hosts. I did not see any evc errors or suggestions while adding the new host to the cluster. now i am getting an error when migrating some virtual servers to others over this new host. I wanted to open evc mode while virtual machines were running. I tried all the options on evc mode but I am getting the attached error. What do you think could be the problem and what should I do?

I am getting the following error while migrating the virtual machine. but on some virtual machines I don't get this error on the same host

APPXER01
The target host does not support the virtual machine's current hardware requirements.
To resolve CPU incompatibilities, use a cluster with Enhanced vMotion Compatibility (EVC) enabled. See KB article 1003212.
XSAVES (save supervisor states) is unsupported.
XSAVEC (save extended states in compact format) is unsupported.
XSAVE of Protection Key Register User State (PKRU) is unsupported.
XSAVE of ZMM registers ZMM16-ZMM31 is unsupported (ZMM_Hi16).
XSAVE of high 256 bits of ZMM registers ZMM0-ZMM15 is unsupported (ZMM_Hi256).
XSAVE of opmask registers k0-k7 is unsupported.
XSAVE of BNDCFGU and BNDSTATUS registers (BNDCSR) is unsupported.
XSAVE of BND0-BND3 bounds registers (BNDREGS) is unsupported.
Protection Keys For User-mode Pages (PKU) is not supported.
AVX-512 Vector Length Extensions (AVX512VL) are unsupported.
Advanced Vector Extensions 512 Byte and Word Instructions (AVX512BW) are unsupported.
Advanced Vector Extensions 512 Confict Detection (AVX512CD) are unsupported.
Cache line write back (CLWB) is unsupported.
Optimized version of clflush (CLFLUSHOPT) is unsupported.
Advanced Vector Extensions 512 Doubleword and Quadword (AVX512DQ) are unsupported.
Advanced Vector Extensions 512 Foundation (AVX512F) are unsupported.
Memory Protection Extensions (MPX) are unsupported.

ESX VersionCPU Model

VMware ESXi 6.5.0 build-8294253Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v4 @ 2.20GHz
VMware ESXi 6.5.0 build-8294253Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6240 CPU @ 2.60GHz
0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

CPU features are exposed to VMs at power on, i.e. VMs which have been powered on on the new "Cascade Lake" host run with features, which are not available on the "Broadwell" hosts.

In order to enable EVC for the cluster, you need to shutdown all VMs with the newer feature set, i.e. the ones which cannot be vMotion'd from the new host to the old ones. As an alternative to shutting down all these VMs at the same time, you could shut them down - one after the other - migrate them to one of the "Broadwell" hosts, and power them on there again. After that you should be able to enable EVC with "Broadwell".

Please remember to disable "Initial Placement" (i.e. set "DRS" to Manual in case it is enabled), to ensure that the VMs are powered back on on a "Broadwell" host.

André

0 Kudos