VMware Cloud Community
kalcla
Contributor
Contributor

virtual machine disks consolidation is needed after snapshot delete

Good morning, I have a problem with a virtual machine Microsft Windows 2008R2 server, which ognoi time I make a snpashot and gate gives me the warning "virtual machine disks consolidation is needed after snapshot".

Buongiorno, ho un problema con una macchina virtuale Microsft windows server 2008R2, che ognoi volta che effettuo una snpashot e la cancello mi da il warning "virtual machine disks consolidation is needed after snapshot ".

StipStorico.PNG

3 Replies
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

Snapshot consolidation is useful when snapshot disks fail to compact after a Delete or Delete all operation or if the disk did not consolidate.

This might happen, for example, if you delete a snapshot but its associated disk does not commit back to the base disk.

Most of the time this will come after a backup running .

The snapshot Consolidation command searches for hierarchies or delta disks to combine without violating data dependency. After consolidation, redundant disks are removed, which improves virtual machine performance and saves storage space.

Follow below

1. Display the Need Consolidation column in the vSphere Client.

2. Select a vCenter Server, host, or cluster and click the Virtual Machines tab.

3. Right-click the menu bar for any virtual machine column and select Needs Consolidation from the menu.

The Needs Consolidation column appears. A Yes status indicates that the snapshot files for the virtual machine should be consolidated and that the virtual machine's Tasks and Events tab shows a configuration problem. A No status indicates that the files are OK.

4. To consolidate the files, right-click the virtual machine and select Snapshot > Consolidate.

Check the Need Consolidation column to verify that the task succeeded.

If the task succeeded, the Configuration Issues message should be cleared and the Needs Consolidation value should be No

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
kalcla
Contributor
Contributor

when I get to the point 4 me this notice appears

pastedImage_0.png

AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So did you end up consolidating it without any outage ?

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos