VMware Cloud Community
phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vcentre appliance ad account pemissions

Hi,

i am trying to configure AD authentication to the vcentre appliance.  i have two accounts, a domain user and a domain admin account.

if i ty domain admin, it works, if i use my user account it fails.  i dont want to just assign domain admin permissions so was wondering if anyone could confirm what user account privileges the user account requires?

thanks

phill

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ExpletiveDelete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the AD user account doesn't matter as long as it can authenticate to the domain. The issue for vCenter is what role the domain user account is attached to. you can add the user account to the 'Administrator' role and give the 'user' the keys to the kingdom. Take a look at the roles and tell us what you see.

phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for the reply.

when you say role in the domain you mean what groups with elevated permissions?

like you said, I don't want to be adding the user account to the administrator group.  Ideally I would to use the minimum required permissions but just cant seem to find what they are?

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> ... if i use my user account it fails.

Do you receive an error message? Please explain "it fails" to help understand what's going on.

Btw. although you can add permissions for individual users, I recommend you create a domain group and add permissions to the group. This will let you manage permissions by simply adding/removing account to/from the group.

André

0 Kudos