VMware Cloud Community
elbek1995sayfiy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vcenter server standard licensing

Hello . I have a question about standard licensing of the vcenter server. I have 8 servers and I wanted to use the vCenter server standard. If I buy the vCenter server standard. How will I manage host licenses? Do I need to buy another 8 simple vsphere standard licenses for these hosts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

vCenter - as you probably know - is licensed per instance, so what you need is a single license.

ESXi hosts however are licensed by physical sockets/processors, i.e. a dual-CPU host requires 2 ESXi CPU licenses.

If you don't have licenses yet, you may consider to purchase an Acceleration Kit, which contains vCenter Serer Standard plus 6 CPU licenses, which is cheaper than the separate licenses. For the remaining CPUs you can then purchase additional licenses.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

vCenter - as you probably know - is licensed per instance, so what you need is a single license.

ESXi hosts however are licensed by physical sockets/processors, i.e. a dual-CPU host requires 2 ESXi CPU licenses.

If you don't have licenses yet, you may consider to purchase an Acceleration Kit, which contains vCenter Serer Standard plus 6 CPU licenses, which is cheaper than the separate licenses. For the remaining CPUs you can then purchase additional licenses.

André

0 Kudos
elbek1995sayfiy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As I mentioned we have 8 server 2 cpu each. According to your answer I need bu 8 vsphere standard license right ? what about vsphere essential kit ? Is it suitable with vcenter server standard ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As I mentioned we have 8 server 2 cpu each. According to your answer I need bu 8 vsphere standard license right ?

No, you'll need one license per CPU, in your case with 8 hosts x 2 CPUs => 16 CPU licenses.

what about vsphere essential kit ? Is it suitable with vcenter server standard ?

No, Essentials Kits support up to 3 hosts with a maximum of 2 CPUs each, and contain their own "vCenter Server for Essentials" license.

André

0 Kudos
elbek1995sayfiy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you know price for 8 server with 2 cpu vspeher server standard then ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'd suggest that you ask for an offer from a VMware partner near you.

As mentioned before, you may ask them for a vSphere Acceleration Kit plus 10 CPU licenses, which will be cheaper than purchasing vCenter Server + 16 CPU licenses.

What you also need to decide is which Edition (Standard, Enterprise Plus, ...) you need/want, and what kind (and duration) of Subscription and Support (SnS).

Please take a look at e.g. Server Virtualization Software | vSphere Editions | VMware for details, and available options.

André

0 Kudos