VMware Cloud Community
mkbell
Contributor
Contributor

vcenter server appliance license key or registration

Please i need to obtain license key for vcenter server appliance to activate the server.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are you using vCSA in evaluation mode? you will find te license in your My VMware portal.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The license key is the same as you'd use for teh Windows based vCenter Server. After initial installation, the appliance will work in evaluation mode for 60. After this you have to enter a license key, i.e. purchase a license.

André

0 Kudos
mkbell
Contributor
Contributor

I thought vCSA is free product?

0 Kudos
mkbell
Contributor
Contributor

yes it in evaluation mode I thought vCSA is free product?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Unfortunately, it's not free. To manage the ESXi host(s) you can only use the Windows based vSphere Client after the evaluation has expired (with the free Hypervisor license).

André

0 Kudos
mkbell
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have an idea of cost please?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It depends on the number of hosts (CPU sockets) you have and the features you need (see http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/compare.html). The price range starts with ~$500 for vSphere Essentials.

André

0 Kudos
mkbell
Contributor
Contributor

correct is i am wrong the vcsa use to be free initially?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The vCenter Server Appliance was first introduced with vSphere 5.0 as an alternative to vCenter Server for Windows, and there's never been a free version for it (except for the 60-day evaluation period).

André

0 Kudos
mkbell
Contributor
Contributor

But i haven't be able to obtain a license key for it still to evaluate or i don't need a key.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As I mentioned before, the appliance will work in evaluation mode for 60 after initial installation without entereing a license key. If you need more time for evaluation, you may need to contact a VMware sales representative and ask him for a license key.

André

0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCVA is not free product. It is exactly similar to windows vc. Few features are not in VCVA (virtual appliance ) Like linked VC, VCO. There is no change in licensing model for vcva and windows vc. It exaclty same as windows vc. This is virtual appliance with virtual center server so you dont need to buy operating system license to install VC. This is the benefit of virtual center server appliance.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos