VMware Cloud Community
Azartash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vcenter appliance installation stuck

I have tried installing vCenter appliance 6.5 many times with different ESXIs but every time it stuck in 80% (RPM installation) and the installer log report :

"pollRpmInstallProgress:getGuestFileErr:ServerFaultCode: Failed to authenticate with the guest operating system using the supplied credentials.

initiateFileTransferFromGuest error: ServerFaultCode: Failed to authenticate with the guest operating system using the supplied credentials.

debug: Failed to get fileTransferInfo:ServerFaultCode: Failed to authenticate with the guest operating system using the supplied credentials.

debug: Failed to get url of file in guest vm:ServerFaultCode: Failed to authenticate with the guest operating system using the supplied credentials."

but the supplied credential is correct.

what should I do?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For the System Name, are you using FQDN?

does filename matters?

Yes, it does. Please provide full filename as there was a known issue fixed in U1c which caused the root password to expire after a certain time period thus failing installations.

Is the workstation from which you're deploying the PSC time synched to the ESXi host acting as the target?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Couple of basic things to ensure you have:

1. NTP. You must have end-to-end NTP functioning on the workstation from which you're installing the vCSA to the ESXi host and the deployment as well.
  2. DNS. You must have forward and reverse DNS records set up and resolvable by the vCSA at the time of its deployment.

If you have those things, can you provide screenshots which show all the values you are using during deployment?

0 Kudos
Azartash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

the esxi ntp syncs with dc and forward/reverse records exist. here are some pics but  I'm afraid I can't provide you full detail.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So you're trying to deploy the PSC first and it's failing. What is the filename of the ISO you're using?

0 Kudos
Azartash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes, I deploy it before with another domain and it worked. I had a test network in another domain and PSC deployed fine with current esxi but when I changed the network and domain it fails with this error. I tried with another esxi and it fails too but an esxi in last domain still deploy it fine. as I said ntp syncs correctly and forward/reverse zones exist and resolvable.

does filename matters?

"vCenter-Server-Appliance-linux-6.5"

here are more screenshots when the machine deployment on esxi finishes and the machine starts.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For the System Name, are you using FQDN?

does filename matters?

Yes, it does. Please provide full filename as there was a known issue fixed in U1c which caused the root password to expire after a certain time period thus failing installations.

Is the workstation from which you're deploying the PSC time synched to the ESXi host acting as the target?

0 Kudos
Azartash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried both FQDN and IP add,

filename: VMware-VCSA-all-x.y.z-abcdefg.iso (DVD image).

I deploy PSC from different systems inside and outside the domain and network even DC itself but none working (a system outside domain that syncs time with internet, a system outside domain that syncs time with another domain, a system in domain that syncs time with it, but no systems syncs time with esxi)

0 Kudos
Azartash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you for mentioning the known issue, I've downloaded another vCenter appliance with update 1 and it solved the problem.

0 Kudos