VMware Cloud Community
ChrisI88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vcenter appliance 7.x in HA - patching witness

I have a vcenter appliance in a Lab in HA (testing how it all works) 

I'm trying to follow the https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vcenter.upgrade.doc/GUID-C27CD7DF-AB52-4A77... on how to patch the setup.  But I'm running into a catch 22.   I have HA in maintenance mode, logged into the active node and ssh to the witness.  Now I'm trying to patch the witness with a update bundle - but the update bundle is on a web server on the production network and the witness doesn't have access to this network.  So how are you supposed to do this ?  

Can you update from the full iso ?   

There defiantly seems to be some limitations to this update process.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Before patching you have to Remove the vCenter HA configuration as follow below steps to proceed for patching.

NOTE: Before removing the vCenter HA configuration, record the IP addresses used for vCHA as these will be needed
when deploying vCHA later.
Steps
1. Log in to the VMware vSphere Client.
2. Click Home and select Hosts and Clusters.
3. Select the vCenter, and click Configure.
4. Select Settings > vCenter HA, and click Remove vCenter HA.
5. Click the check box Delete the VMs that are backing the Passive and Witness nodes. Click Yes.
6. Click Home and click Tasks to monitor the vCenter HA removal.
7. Right-click the controller vCSA, and select Edit Settings. Select the vCenter HA network adapter and click x.
8. Click OK to confirm.

9. Take a snapshot of the vCenter
10. Patch the vCenter
11. Post patch you can go ahead to Reconfigure the vCenter HA

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
ChrisI88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm sorry but that contradicts the the document stating that you don't have to do what you suggest. 

The whole point of HA is to always have a system up and running while you preform these tasks.

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert

To perform ISO-based patching, you download an ISO image, attach the ISO image to the CD/DVD drive of the appliance, optionally stage the available patches from the ISO image to the appliance, and install the patches.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos