VMware Cloud Community
insearchof
Expert
Expert

vcenter 6.5 appliance not sending email alerts.

I have setup a few alarms on my vcenter to send email alerts

I have not yet received an email.  But have had several alerts on the console.

Any thoughts on what to check

Thank you

Tom

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Have you configured SMTP within vCenter? If so, have you configured your SMTP server/relay to accept inbound messages from the vCenter source?

0 Kudos
insearchof
Expert
Expert

Yes I did

My on site exchange server excepts any smtp traffic from any device on my local network.

The vcenter appliance is on the same network as my exchange server.

Is there any place I can do a test email from?

Any place where I can see if there is an error message to check.

I had a 6.0 vcenter which worked well with email alerts.

Just migrated to 6.5 over the holidays.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

There's no test email function, but you can create an easy alert for something like VM power state to test.

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

If you are using multiple email addresses then this issue occurs when a semi-colon is used to separate each email recipient. The VMware vSphere Client user interface display each recipient value separated by a semi-colon. In the VMware vSphere Web Client, each recipient is separated by a comma. So when you are configuring email notifications for VMware vCenter Server alarms, each recipient address must be separated by a comma. Using any other delimiter may cause the notification email to fail.

Check if you have missed something while configuration

To configure an email notifications for an alarm:

• Click the Administration tab and select vCenter Server Settings.
  • Select the Mail option.
  • For the SMTP Server option, enter the IP address or the DNS name of the email/exchange server to which the alert notification must be sent.
  • For the Sender Account, enter the email address from which the alert must be sent.
  • After configuring the email notification for an alarm, set an email alert on the alarm.

To set an email alert on the alarm:

• Select the vCenter Server and click the Alarms tab.
  • Click Definitions and then select any alarm. For example, Datastore usage on disk.
  • Right-click the Alarm and click Edit Settings.
  • Click the Actions Tab and click Add.
  • Select Send a Notification Email in the Action option.
  • Under Configuration, enter an email address to receive the alert, and select the trigger as per requirement.
  • Click OK.
Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos