VMware Cloud Community
thomasqwerty
Contributor
Contributor

vcenter 6.5.0.35000 to 7.0.3.00300

Hello,

i have a Server (HPE proliant DL 380 Gen9) updated and running ESXi 7.0.3 19193900.

A VMWare vCenter Server Appliance 6.5.0.35000 17994927 is running as a virtual machine. I now want to update this vCenter machine to latest 7.0.3.00300 19234570.

I tried it via CDROM. It tells me "Stage failed".

I tried it via cli ("software-packages stage --iso"). It tells me "ISO mounted successfully" "ISO unmounted successfully" "Staging process failed."

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vcenter.upgrade.doc/GUID-30485437-B107-42EC...

That linked info tells me it should do the update/upgrade.

I remember something about the update to 6.5 that i just had to mount the ..patch.iso into the VM and hit the update button.

What am i doing wrong? - Is there something wrong?

KR,

thomas

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In this case you need to "upgrade" rather than "update" (patch) the appliance. To do so, mount the installation ISO image to your PC, and run the installer (like you did with installing the vCSA 6.5). Then select "Upgrade" from the presented menu. This will launch a wizard that guides you through the upgrade process, in which a new appliance will be deployed, which copies the configuration over from the old one, and assumes its identity.

André

0 Kudos
thomasqwerty
Contributor
Contributor

Ah Okay. This gets me into

"Service Unavailable (Failed to connect to endpoint:[xxx]_serverNamespace = /sdk action = Allow _port =8085)503"

Its a fully offline-system. Have to type all ErrorMsgs by hand.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

At which point fo you see this?

Can you confirm that the environment meets the prerequisites, like proper DNS resolution (forward AND reverse) for the vCenter Server?

André

0 Kudos
Anil0210
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Thomasqwerty,

Can you confirm if you have downloaded this file and started installer from this iso. 65 to 70 is migration based upgrade and you need to use the complete iso to do that. For reference iso file name is "VMware-VCSA-all-7.0.3-19234570.iso"

Let me know if that works for you.

~Anil

thomasqwerty
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, i am using the full iso.

After i successfully installed a full VCSA 7 without upgrading, i wanted to test some other steps in my 6.5 enviroment.

So i booted from the "backup" disk. There my VCSA 6.5 had damage on the virtual memory. So FSCKed. Booting up again. No passwords worked anymore. Also 503 on port 8085. I was able to get a shell with the rw init=/bin/bash and could change password. Also the hash of shadow-file changed. But i still was not able to login via *:5480 or ssh.

On my test HDD i should have tested my VCSA 6.5 before i tried to upgrade. Now its Chicken or the egg... my VCSA 6.5 on the backup might have been broken before....503 on 8085 might point on that.  😞

I will try with the fresh VCSA 7 on the ESXI 7 test-enviroment. I might get back to my backup 6.5 to find out what causes the password issue.

Thank you and greetings from GER.

0 Kudos
Anil0210
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Ger,

Password issue in 65 is known issue. Refer to this KB , https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2147144 if you want to reset your root password. Let me know if this doesnot help.

0 Kudos