I have Vcenter  with this details:

Vendor:

VMware Inc.

Appliance Name:

VMware vCenter Server Appliance

Appliance Version:

5.5.0.10300 Build 1945271

I'm trying to install the update to 5.5.0.20200 Build 2183109,

I started te update from the web console from port 5480 , and after 3 or 4 hours ago and the message that I see is this:

Installing VMware vCenter Server Appliance - 5.5.0.20200 Build 2183109, please wait..

Any ideas?? I'm worry about it, my vcenter now is working, but the update proccess seems totally hung!

No error message displayed, but obviusly some is going bad....

thanks in advance

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Which version/build is shown on the vCenter Appliance's console screen?

André

0 Kudos
elitebook69
Contributor
Contributor

I reenter to the web interface and I see this: (no update aplied)

I think, the update is done but needs a reboot, but I dont see the message that confirms update is finish!!! maybe the install progress bar is hung...

vcenter2.png

0 Kudos
elitebook69
Contributor
Contributor

another screen capture

vcenter3.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Unfortunately I can't tell you what's going on. What's the update source, i.e. do you use the updaterepo.iso, or do you download the update from the Internet. I usually use the .iso image which makes update a matter of a few minutes.

Did you take a snapshot of the appliance prior to starting the update?

André

elitebook69
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, the source is Internet, I will wait 24hours before reboot the vcenter.

Yes, I have a snapshot before update it, its safe to rollback using this snap?

Regards

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> Yes, I have a snapshot before update it, its safe to rollback using this snap?

With a rollback you may loose some performance data and events. However, it's usually easier to roll-back than reinstalling vCenter Server. With a roll-back even 3rd party tools like backup application should continue to work. Anyway, only consider a roll-back as an option if nothing else helps. In the meantime - while waiting - I'd suggest you download the current updaterepo.iso image, so that - in case you need to start the update again - you can avoid possible issues with the Internet connection/download for the update.

If the two buttons still remain grayed out even after a reboot, take a look at Re: vCenter Server Appliance checking for update hangs for a workaround.

André

elitebook69
Contributor
Contributor

At te end, after 12 hours, the update is complete!! The system was downloading te update not hung! Now appears the message that confirm I can reboot the vcenter!!

Next time, I will use the ISO to update, to avoid Internet problems.

Best Regards and thank you very much for the useful answers.

0 Kudos