VMware Cloud Community
jeffrey_davidso
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere vCenter 5.1 Events filling up SQL DB from VDP 5.1.11.3

I have a vCenter 5.1 environment with VDP deployed for backups. The backups jobs run successfully, and the environment is stable.

I a specific issue with the SQL database filling up with a flood of log entries from the VDP, and probably more specifically the VMA which VDP runs on.

The vCenter log fills up with events similar to:

User SYSTEM-DOMAIN\admin@192.168.93.252 logged in as

User SYSTEM-DOMAIN\admin@ logged out (login time: , number of API invocations: , user agent: )

I have attached a screenshot with the specific details.

I was hoping to simply disable the logging in VMA 5.1 until I can research this in more detail, only to find that vilogger has been removed.

I have currently set the vCenter database retention policy for 5 days, but would like to keep more once I get this issue resolved.

Has anyone seen this behavior in VDP or the VMA appliances?

If so how did you resolve this issue?

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dtracey
Expert
Expert

Hi Jeffrey,

You could consider reducing the vCenter logging level from Information down to Warning, until you sort out the underlying cause.

Administration > vCenter Server Settings > Logging options

Dan

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Go to vCenter Administration > and set the database retention to lower. The default is 180 days

0 Kudos
UDPsystems
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone found a fix for this issue?

We are having the same issue. The account that VDP uses is filling up the event log with 1000's of those same logged in, logged out messages every day.

P.S. The two previous responses are unhelpful. Besides not addressing the underlying issue, the original poster states he had already set the retention policy down to 5 days.

0 Kudos