VMware Cloud Community
Tinha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere Web Client shows 0 vCenter server

Hi all.  As a newbie, I am currently playing around with vCenter 5.1.  just got vCenter Server 5.1 with all the required components (SSO, Web Client Server, etc) installed on a test server.  After the installation, I am able to login to SSO through the vSphere Web Client by using the admin@system-domain account.  I am able to create SSO users and assign SSO user permissions.  However, the vCenter Server list is empty, there is no vCenter server on this list, which shouldn't be; see the attached screen shot.  Therefore I am not able to test out other vCenter features.  Is any one having the same issue as I am?  This is a clean installation, running on a Windows 2008 R2 OS.  Thank you. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi TinHa,

Go to your SSO Configuration and click on your AD that you have configured under identity source.  You have to make it as default domain by clicking on the blue symbol that looks like this

sso-default-domain-1.jpg

Once this is done, Try logging in with your AD administrator and see if the inventory is populating.

If its still not, login into vCenter using the vSphere client and click on your vCenter object, go to the permissions tab and add permission with your AD user and the Administrator role. Now you should be able to login with the AD user to web client and the vCenter+inventory should show up.

Let me know if it works.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

View solution in original post

8 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you configure an identity source and assign permissions to the vCenter root object, while logged in as SSO Admin?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you register your vCenter Server after installing vSphere web client?

0 Kudos
Tinha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi VMRoyale - Yes, the identify source had been configured, as far I can tell it looks correct (included LDAP to my domain controller).  Not sure how to assign permissions to the vCenter root object.... 

Hi chenyuz - I am running vCenter 5.1, and I can't register it through the vSphere Web Client, isn't this for vCenter 5.0 only?  When I try to register vCenter 5.1 through Web Client, it throws an error "For newer versions, the vCenter Server system must be registered with the Lookup Service to allow the vSphere Web Client to discover the system".  I've looked everywhere, and I couldn't find the "Lookup Service"..

Thanks guys.

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi TinHa,

Go to your SSO Configuration and click on your AD that you have configured under identity source.  You have to make it as default domain by clicking on the blue symbol that looks like this

sso-default-domain-1.jpg

Once this is done, Try logging in with your AD administrator and see if the inventory is populating.

If its still not, login into vCenter using the vSphere client and click on your vCenter object, go to the permissions tab and add permission with your AD user and the Administrator role. Now you should be able to login with the AD user to web client and the vCenter+inventory should show up.

Let me know if it works.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

Tinha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you Abhilash!  This solved the problem! 

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Good to see the problem solve. look up service is part of the SSO I guess linking vCenter server to SSO in this case is what it means by registering with lookup service.

0 Kudos
jijiwiwi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. Resolved my problem.

0 Kudos
PhillyKev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!  Solved for me.  Had to add the permission via vSphere Client, couldn't do it through the web client.

0 Kudos