VMware Cloud Community
sajag007
Contributor
Contributor

[vSphere Upgrade] Should we go to embedded model After upgrade to 6.7U1

We are planning to upgrade vSphere from 6.5u1 to 6.7U1 as lot of new improvements happening to 6.7. One that fetches my attention was Migrating back to Embedded deployment. vCenter Server 6.7 and 6.5 Update 2 now support Embedded Deployments with Enhanced Linked Mode (ELM) in a greenfield environment. Embedded deployment of the vCenter Server is now the recommended topology going forward. My question here in many places we have configure lookup services with PSC as external PSC holds the lookup service. These are configured in SRM, NSX, vRA and some other products as well. When we upgrade and by using the vCenter Server Converge Tool. This means we have to change this on multiple places as the vCenter will be holding the lookup service because there will be no external PSC. For bigger enterprise environment should this is recommended or stick back to the external PSC.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Hello,

As you know the linked mode between vCenter components is for management. and with 6.7 they recommend the embedded platform to minimize the size of deployment.

But if your environment is with external configuration and enhanced linked mode, you can upgrade to 6.7 as it because 6.7 supports the enhanced linked mode and external PSC configuration.

Then you have to plan the conversion to embedded using the Converge Tool.

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos