VMware Cloud Community
sawag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere Replication without vCenter Server

Hello,

Can vSphere Replication work without vCenter Server? I have only two servers with ROBO 6 standard license. Two virtual machines are running on each host. I want to use vSphere Replication but have no vCenter Server. Is it possible? Please advise..

Regards,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You must have vCenter in order to manage the replication tasks.

0 Kudos
sawag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok. thanks for the reply. What are the requirements in case if you have two hosts we want to replicate them using vSphere Replication and vCenter is not in the same location? I want to mention one more thing, we will use local storage and not shared.

0 Kudos
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You could access the host from vCenter server from any geographical location.

Only criteria would be to have the ESXI host and the vSphere Replication have the ability to talk to the vCenter server.

For EX: If the host is on 10.10.0.2 and the vCenter is on 192.168.0.2, both the IP Range should be able to talk to each other on the network route.

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
Skyline Support Moderator
0 Kudos
sawag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. One more information, how many Replication appliances are required in this case? we will have one vCenter Server and two hosts only as discussed. Do we need to have Replication appliance on each host or what? Can I have some reference diagrams or articles?

Regards.

0 Kudos