VMware Cloud Community
TomQuaile
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Licensing

Apologies if I've missed this being answered.  I contacted support an they asked me to use the forum.  I have a HP DL380p Gen 8 server. The processor is the E5-2630.  It's listed as having 6 cores, with 2 logical processors per core. I obtained a license and initoally had difficulty installling it. I found a thread that said when it was installed, I would have unlimited threads or VMs. I don't recall the exact wording now.  I seem to hit a 8 SMP limit. The licensing people said it should be 128 not 8.   When I did a physical conversion of just 3 machines, I had to reduce one to 4 CPUs and the other two to 2 in order to start them.

Here is the chicken and egg. Licensing said it's a technical question so can't help.  They were certain having checked my key that I should have 128 threads though not 8 for ESXi version 6.0 (which I have).  In terms of any other support, they said I'd have to bin off the evaluation and buy the product to get help.  Has anybody else seen this please?  Any ideas/links I can follow?

Appreciated in advance -    Tom.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What does the Licensed Features information show regarding this in the ESXi host's Configuration tab?

Also remember that some operating systems have CPU/processor limits. If you want to run such an OS as a guest on ESXi you may need to properly configure the CPU settings (Number of virtual sockets, and Number of cores per socket) to present e.g. a Multi-Core CPU to the guest OS rather than multiple Single-Core CPUs.

André

0 Kudos