VMware Cloud Community
surfnode
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Client - Distorted/low colour screen

Hello,

We are having an issue with vSphere Client v5.1.0 (VMware vCenter Server v5.1.0) where the screen looks pixelated/distorted and has a bit-depth of 16 colors.

We also find if someone is attached to a vm - when others try to view the same session, they get a black screen and it can take up to 30 seconds before the session is visible.

This graphics problem is shown in the screenshot:

ViClient-GfxIssue.png

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Not specifically, but this appears to be a font problem and a graphics driver issue.

The client is .NET based.  If you try the web based client does it show the same thing?

Maybe you are running the client in some Windows compatibility mode or have Aero disabled.. some apps will change to a 16 bit mode to avoid (because of Windows settings) normal depth.  I did this for a few of my desktop apps, and I depends on the application if it supports certain modes.

It is defined by the graphics card driver.

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Along with Rparker said, quickly you can check with differen machine and see whether you get same behavior.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
surfnode
Contributor
Contributor

Web client seems to run a lot better than the local installed client.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

A few pointers to isolate the behavior:

1. When you open the console of a VM and you see the distorted display, can you check the vmware.log of the VM to see any messages related to svga or colors?

2. The VMs that you are using, do by any chance have any Graphic card given as passthrough?

3. The web interface that you are using is on the same machine where you are trying to access the VI client?

0 Kudos