VMware Cloud Community
robertendicott2
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 6.5 VMFS 6 not reclaiming space after snapshot removal

After deleting snapshots or consolidating VMs the datastore does not reclaim data. vCenter version 6.5.0.14100 Build Number 7801515, VMware ESXi 6.5.0, 7388607, VMFS 6. Before removing snapshots and consolidating a VM I had 10.71 TB free on the datastore after the removal I had 9 TB, so during the snapshot removal I have lost over 1 TB of space.  I do have a VMware support ticket open as well but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and if so what is the solution. (I have a vSphere 6.0 VMFS 5 environment that does not have this issue.)

22 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Right,

if you have a Dell SC "hybrid" than 2MB is the smallest blocksize the array supports and so scsi unmap autoreclaim is not working because ony up to 1MB are supportet by VMware.

Regards,

Joerg

SupreetK
Commander
Commander

We can see from the output <total unaligned ats, clone, zero, delete ops:1011> that the unmap commands are unaligned and for auto-unmap, reclamation granularity (which is equal to the block size) should be 1 MB. No wonder why auto-unmap is not working -

Space Reclamation Requests from VMFS Datastores

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
subhashdhyani
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Supreet,

its "helpful" for me.