VMware Cloud Community
BattleNerd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere 6.5 + Host Profiles + vDS Networks

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone could help, i'm trying to setup a Host Profile from a reference host and apply that same profile to 7 other hosts.

I created a vanilla host never used but fully configured, I applied the host profile to another vanilla host that only was added to vcenter and accessible by vcenter.

When I apply the host profile the host stops communicating to vCenter, and all PING packets start getting dropped.

When I connect via console to the host, i've noticed the Management Services show a 0.0.0.0 I am no longer able to configure Management Networks and am forced to reset the management network.

When I finally get the host back accessible in vcenter, I look at the configuration set so far, and all vDS Networks are configured, but the Management VMKernel is still on vSwitch0 and no physical NICs are applied to any of the vDS Uplinks.

Does anyone have any logs I can look at, when I look at hostd.log I'm not seeing anything worthwhile, but I could be missing something, any help would be great, thanks!

21 Replies
vasan22in
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Check your Reference Host management network and your Host Profile. How management network is configured, is it in vswitch or dvs. While attach you host profile you need to select customize the host option to change the default ip address and Name of the Host.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Thanks, Srini
0 Kudos
BattleNerd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply!

I worked with Support and am currently waiting for a Network Resource.

I initially only had the VMK for Management on a vSwitch, and found that during the cutover it isn't smart enough to move the VMK before moving the physical NIC's off of the vSwitch.

I ended up creating a temporary management VMK on the vDS and got me farther, but now my issue is the profile fails and I notice on the ESXi host that the VMK for Management has lost its Gateway setting... Been 2 days still waiting on call, will probably call them later this week.

0 Kudos
Graenky
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I'm having very similar, or close to identical, issues with Host Profiles on vSphere 6.5 environment where we are utilizing vDS. Did you get the issue resolved by working with VMware support? I have a ticket open about it as well but after opening I stumbled across this thread and wanted to ask if there might be more information on this already?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
jwininger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you get a resolution for this issue?  I'm having the same problem.  Issue only occurs after updating vCenter and hosts to 6.5 U1.

0 Kudos
Piotrek82
Contributor
Contributor

I also have the same issue and I'm very interested in knowing the resolution. The other issue is that the host profile compliance status remains unknown after checking compliance - tried multiple times with multiple host profiles. Even the reference host has an unknown status

0 Kudos
jwininger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there any more information on this?   Anyone get a resolution??

0 Kudos
BartBow
Contributor
Contributor

BattleNerd,

I have run into the exact same issue this afternoon while trying to apply a newly extracted Host Profile from my correctly configured ESXi 6.5 host.  When I try to apply the Profile, it seems as the the Host Profile is trying to apply things in the wrong order and yanking the VMK0 after it creates it.

pastedImage_1.png

Were you able to get any resolution from VMware Support on your end?

squebel
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same exact issue. I've opened a case with VMware support as well.

0 Kudos
WelshP
Contributor
Contributor

Any update on this issue guys?

Having exactly the same problem with 6.5.

0 Kudos
mbomb67
Contributor
Contributor

Managed to resolve this today with VMware support. Apparently when IPv6 is disabled on the reference host, the host profile still attempts to input something in for the IPv6 gateway in the Host Profiles. The host profile had two colons in the "Vnic Default Gateway for IPv6 routing". Once you remove those two colons, the host profile applies as expected. See the attached screenshot for details.

mikeveira407
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! This solved the exact same issue we were having using 6.5 update on everything. Will inform support that this fixed it, and request that they open a bug report if possible.

0 Kudos
Mahi2727
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Same issue. In my case ipv6 is disabled on the reference host and ipv6 gateway field is set for user to specify.

when I try to re-mediate the profile errors, it is trying to remove vmk0 and vmotion kernal adapter as well. Any suggestion >?

Thanks,

Mahi

0 Kudos
Mahi2727
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Same issue. In my case ipv6 is disabled on the reference host and ipv6 gateway field is set for user to specify. I am struggling to find field value to check to avoid this removal of management vmk!

when I try to re-mediate the profile errors, it is trying to remove vmk0 and vmotion kernal adapter as well. Any suggestion >?

Thanks,

Mahi

0 Kudos
karps
Contributor
Contributor

I have had similar issues in the past, but might not be exactly the same.

In my experience, I found that when I hit "Apply Host Profile" it would cause the management interface to get messed up and disconnect the host due to it applying it in the wrong order.

What I found worked for me was to firstly update the host customization and then simply rebooting the host ( we are doing stateless builds). When the host booted, it would apply the NIC configuration in the correct order.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
tristankelkerma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Have you tried to click on "Check Host Profile Compliance" before remediate ? I had exactly the same issue, and following this extra step resolved the issue.

0 Kudos
dauphin77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Has anyone had an fixes in addition to the ones already mentioned previously in this post? My ESXi hosts are currently at 6.5 Update 1 (7967591) and still cannot get my Host Profile compliance to change from "Unknown" status to compliant or even non-compliant.

Wondering if I need to apply Update 2 to resolve my issue.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I gave up on host profiles, we attempted them with 6.5 and experianced this issue, and to even get compliance we had to remove large sections of storage information. Then over time the host profiles stopped working at all and required reloads.

0 Kudos
dauphin77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sjesse,

Thanks for the response. I'm going to keep digging a little deeper and see if I can resolve our issue. Appreciate the heads up on "removal of large sections of storage information".

0 Kudos
klutch14u
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone ever find a fix for this?  We have this same issue on 6.7u1.  Needless to say I was initially thrilled to find this thread but then nobody has found a fix

0 Kudos