VMware Cloud Community
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere 5 Essentials license

I have 2 esxi host in a cluster. if one esxi host down or power off then vms will move to another esx host . ? i have  VMware vSphere 5 Essentials Licensed for 2 physical CPUs (unlimited cores per CPU). I'm not sure if the license supports.

5 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

As per the link VMware vSphere 6 Editions Overview - Thomas-Krenn-Wiki​, vSphere Essentials license does not support vSphere HA and vMotion. Therefore when a host is down or powered off, the VMs will stay on the same host in powered off state.

Cheers,

Supreet​

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

The answer is no.

For HA,vMotion there are few requirements

- Shared Storage!

- Essentials Plus license or higher (Standard, Enterprise+)

- vCenter

and maybe some more..... but your dealbreaker is vSphere Essentias which doenst come with HA. Take a look to  https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-es... or just google for the vsphere essenials editions overview.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Therefore when a host is down or powered off, the VMs will stay on the same host in powered off state.

Correction: They will show in an *inaccessible* state. The host to which they are registered is offline. They cannot be powered on unless manually registered on a separate host. If those VMs are stored on local storage, they will remain inaccessible until the owning host returns to service.

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

With Essentials licensing and just two hosts, I was presuming it would be local datastores Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Assumptions are always dangerous even if they often turn out correct Smiley Happy