VMware Cloud Community
mssc74482
Contributor
Contributor

vShpere command line options to form a cluster of ESXi's and enable HA functionality

Hi all,

I have a couple of esxi servers installed in a few servers,

• i wanted some command line options so that i can form a cluster of ESXi hosts and also replicate the HA policies which can be achieved through the GUI by editing the cluster and selecting the vShpere HA policy option and
  • is there any option to perform vmotion of the virtual machines when the Esxi host or the virtual machine itself goes down.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - The functionality you are seeking in the even of a failure is what HA does - if the ESXi host fails or if you have VM monitoring enabled HA will restart the VM on other hosts in the cluster - the other option you have would be to use VMware Fault Tolerance (FT) where a shadow machine is running on another host in the cluster and is the VM or ESXi host were to fail the shadow VM would come online and no data would be lost but in either of these scenarios vmotion is not used.

In  terms of scripting the creation of the HA cluster that will have to be done at the vCenter lever and require the use of the SDK -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mssc74482
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply, can you please point me to the right way as to how to start with respect to scripting the HA policies onto the vcenter machine so that when i deploy a ova file of the vcenter those policies should be applied to the machine.I am more interested in the automation part of the vcenter ova deployment.

Itll be a great help if you give me a head start.

0 Kudos