VMware Cloud Community
pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vMotion stops working after adding 2nd 10GB NIC Uplink to vSwitch

Hello community friends!

I am troubleshooting a strange issue that I have never encountered before. On one of my 3 hosts I have a vSwitch (vSwitch1 in my case) that I am using for vMotion and iSCSI traffic. Well when I add a second 10GB uplink (vmnic1) vMotion fails at 21% but as soon as I remove it then vMotion starts working again. So, we know vmnic0 works just fine by itself but not with vmnic1. I tried it with just vmnic1 but vMotion does not work, still. something about vmnic1

Just to give a little background on the physical setup. Each of the 3 hosts have two 10GB NICs all running to a 10gb Netgear switch that also, has the SANs 10gb connections for shared storage access. The SANs and host are the only devices on the switch. NOTE: These switches predate me. I would have never choose these switches for a VMWare / EMC Unity cluster.

Phillip Balderos VCP6-DCV
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

If you have hardware support, ask the physical card for a check.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
aadhish95
Contributor
Contributor

After adding 2nd NIC try to ping vMotion IP from one host to another Host.

You are using both Management and vMotion in same nics??

0 Kudos
pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you all for the quick responses

I resolved the issue. Here is how: 1) I removed vMotion from the VMKernal 2) Placed the host in maintenance mode 3) Rebooted the host 4) added vMotion back to the VMKernal port. vMotion is working like a charm.

I have a suspicion that after adding the second NIC that perhaps some vMotion related service stopped.

Phillip Balderos VCP6-DCV
0 Kudos