VMware Cloud Community
Jim2012
Contributor
Contributor

vMotion fails when VM is running, but completes when VM is turned off.

Hi guys,

I have an issue with vMotion not working, when I change the service over to our new 10GB nics.

We have installed 10GB Nics into each of our ESXi hosts. The plan is to use the 10GB nic ports for vMotion traffic. I appear to have setup everything correctly but vMotion fails at 21%, when the vm is running it fails, but completes if the vm is turned off. The 10gb uplinks are connected to a nexus 9K, each uplink port of the hosts are trunked, at the nexus side. The port group on the distirbuted switch is tagged with the correct vlan. The vlan is also allowed through the trunk port on the nexus side as well.

I've tested vmkping to ping the other hosts vmk vmotion ips, which all fail. So that tells me some sort of networking issue is the cause. But what, I'm completely confused.

vCenter server is running 6.5.0, 5973321

Hosts are running 6.0.0,4510822.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

When yo say "each uplink port of the hosts are trunked", I assume that the ports are setup as Cisco Trunk ports, i.e. 802.1Q, and not as a channel etc!?

Can you confirm that the VLAN exists on the physical switch (show vlan)?

André

0 Kudos
Jim2012
Contributor
Contributor

HI Andre,

Correct, ports are trunk on the cisco side with the VLAN allowed to pass through.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What about my question about the VLAN?

I'm asking because I saw issues in the past, where a VLAN ID was tagged/allowed on the port(s), but was not created on the switch.

André

0 Kudos