VMware Cloud Community
hsood2001
Contributor
Contributor

vCentre 5.5 - ESXi iSCSI Storage Size Issue

Hi All,

I am pretty new to VM and could do with some help.

I am having some issues with iSCSI Storage my ESXi host will not see the full capacity of my Enhance RS1614IP iSCSI SAN.  I have RAID 6 configured on my SAN with 4x 2TB drives which shows 3.64TB.

If I click Configuration>Storage>Datastores I can see DataStore1 but capacity as 1.88TB but then if I click devices then I can see that Datastore1 is 3.64TB.  If I go to the Datastores properties I see 3 VMFS 5.58 Partitions but I am unable to increase the size or create a second partition.

DataStore1_Properties1.gif

If I click on Increase size this does not find any devices the same as if I add new storage I get the same problem it does not find the Disk/LUN.

My SAN does not have any features to create the partitions I can only create the volume group which has RAID6 with 4 disks.

I have not deleted and recreated the volume as I have a few VM's that I don't want to lose without going into backups.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dainok
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try fdisk (MBR) or partedUtil (latest VMFS with GPT) utils to manually check how the disk is partitioned.

If it's a new VMFS5 with GPT, you should be able to add another partition with the free space.

The best thing you can do is move VM to another (local?) datastore, delete all partitions on shared datastore, create one partition and format it using VMFS5 (unless you need more partitions)

Or you can free a datastore, umount it,  and use it to extend another datastore.

-- Data Center Engineer - CCIE #38620
0 Kudos