VMware Cloud Community
PCPUK
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter - vSAN SSD is not valid

Hi,

I am trying to create a disk group within my cluster disk management. When I open the wizard to create my disk group, you can see the SSD and HDD as you would expect. When I have selected the two drives and clicked on 'OK' I get the error 'Specified SSD is not valid'. I have done the following process with two other servers with the exact same set up and haven't had this issue with them. Could someone please advice on some troubleshooting I could carry out to get this working?

The server is a HP Proliant Microserver Gen8 with a 1TB HDD and a 30GB SSD (We have 3 of these to make up our vSAN lab).

Thanks in advance.

Jon

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JagadeeshDev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Jon,

Make sure that the SSD cards are supported. http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

http://www.myitblog.in/
0 Kudos
PCPUK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi JD,

The SSD's are supported as they have worked for 2 of the 3 servers.

Cheers,

Jon

0 Kudos
JagadeeshDev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Jon,

Did you try to reboot the server ? If possible try detaching the disk and attaching again.

http://www.myitblog.in/
0 Kudos
PCPUK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi JD,

Rebooting the server is one of the first things to be carried out. We have changed the slots for the SSD and HDD but this has had no effect. We are currently in the process of updating the firmware on the server to see if this makes any difference. However we are slowly running out of ideas.

Jon

0 Kudos
Jake_Sallee
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get an answer to this?  I am having the same issue.

0 Kudos
AndreasBergman
Contributor
Contributor

Is this brand new drives or have they been used before? I had issues using drives that contained raid och partitiondata. Clearing the disks solved that issue.

-- VCA-DCV - VCA-Cloud - VCP5-DCV
0 Kudos
PCPUK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jake_Sallee,

Unfortunately I haven't been successful in fixing this issue. I managed to get the vSAN working which was brilliant but I found after a short period of time the SSD would then show the error 'Permanent disk failure'. A quick fix/get around I found for this is to delete the disk group made in the vSAN and then remake it. This would then show no errors and work temporarily but apart from this I haven't had much luck finding a proper solution. The biggest frustration of this is this is all brand new equipment.

Also please note the original issue was fixed by deleting partitions on the disk (windows disk management was used to do this). I have made a new thread for the new error i have got...if you are experiencing this or can help with what i explained in this reply please follow this link -> vCenter - vSAN SSD 'Permanent Disk Failure'

Jon

0 Kudos
JGajewski
Contributor
Contributor

Dear sender,

I am out off office till 07.01.2015

For emergency issues please call my mobile +48 603 203 772

Regards,

Jarek

This e-mail and the documents attached are covered business secret the Atos group and contain confidential information intended solely for the addressee. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. ATOS IT SERVICES Sp z o.o. with its registered office in Warsaw, address: 02-676 Warsaw, Postępu 18 , entered in the register of the National Court Register under the number 0000128068 by the District Court for the Capital City of Warsaw, XIII Commercial Division of the National Court Register, NIP: 5213207288, registered capital 2 300 500,00 PLN. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Atos group liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavors to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

Jarek
0 Kudos