VMware Cloud Community
VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter vCSA DNS ip change related issue

we have one very strange issue which is causing because of changing our old DNS server IPs

I have changed old DNS ips to new DNS ips using local administrator account --- no issues found

logged-off from vcenter and trying to log-in back to vcenter using AD account --- we are having error message saying that invalid credentials

To me it looks AD integration in broken

This is totally unexpected behavior why would AD breaks with changing DNS IP address

vCSA version: 6.7 U2

can some one help me here?

Regards,
Volga   

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think you are missing something here

1) re-Join AD as IRIX201110141​ mentioned in above thread

2) make sure you are rebooting vCSA

3) if you are rebooting and not working check for services or wait for 5 minutes if still not working reboot again

Note: sometime for vCSA it requires multiple re-boots

Regards,
Vkmr.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

sorry to hear, I will try to help you here

I totally agree with you that this is unexpected outcome for changing DNS ips

can you able to log-in to vcenter with local accounts for example use local administrator account to log-in and let me know

if you can, try to do ssh and test [command: nslookup "vcenter-host-name" "new DNS ip"] based on this output I will give you next steps

Regards,

Vkmr

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

any luck? let me know your feedback when you get a chance

VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

sorry for not updating, lot of things going on at the same time

I can able to resolve vcenter from inside vCSA and also outside

we are investigating on it as a team but changing DNS ip is very simple task which should not break AD integration correct?

Thank you,

Volga.

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

well, technically changing DNS ips should not break existing AD integration and you should able to log-in to vcenter using AD account along with local account

I have not seen stating it in Known issues but don't worry

Thumb rule, revert to old snapshot [where no changes happened to vcenter] if you can live with using old DNS IPs 

let me try something here from my side if I can replicate this issue

vcenter version is 6.7 U2 correct?

VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unfortunately we did not have VM snapshot of good state, who thinks we will have this strange issue

yes correct we are on 6.7 U2 as vCSA, thanks for trying to replicating issue, let me know if you need any more information

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Unjoin/Remove the Windows AD Integration and create a new one by using LDAP for Windows AD and not the first option from the list.

Regards

Joerg

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Volga,

Yes, same in my case, it looks like something is not going good if you change DNS ips after initial build on vCSA 6.7 U2a

I tried removing and adding it back and it worked fine in my case [as also Joerg mentioned] but as you know I just build it in Lab to replicate your scenario, however hope it should work in your case as well

let me know if you need any steps or assistance here, me or someone else can help you

Regards,
Vkmr.

VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Joreg and Vkmr

I will give a try now and will let you know, one good thing is we are not using this vcenter for production

Thank you,

Volga

VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Below is my feedback,

I have tried rejoining the AD but it still same result, something is not correct or I am not doing it correct

while binding AD I got error and I tried again and this time it worked...

Thank you,
Volga.

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think you are missing something here

1) re-Join AD as IRIX201110141​ mentioned in above thread

2) make sure you are rebooting vCSA

3) if you are rebooting and not working check for services or wait for 5 minutes if still not working reboot again

Note: sometime for vCSA it requires multiple re-boots

Regards,
Vkmr.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone, issue got resolved now

I have done multiple reboots on vCSA and issue got resolved

Do any one know why we got this issue? is it unknown bug?

0 Kudos