VMware Cloud Community
NFerrar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter v8u2a summary widget slow to display info

We recently upgraded a few of our vCenters from 7.0.3 to 8.0.2 and I notice the summary widget (when you click on the vCenter level itself in Inventory view) now takes 2-2.5 minutes to display anything vs under 5 seconds in v7.0.3. All it's doing is displaying summary info like number of clusters, hosts & VMs + last backup time so not sure why it's so slow? All our upgraded vCenters are managing small environments (1 cluster, <10 hosts, <150 VMs) and don't otherwise have performance issues

It's only a minor thing, something I used to occasionally use to quickly spot-check the file-based backups are working, but wondering if this was just a known 'issue' or indicates something not immediately obvious might now be timing out or similar that needs further investigation (no errors display in the widget once it finally loads or anywhere else related to the vCenters)

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
MandeepJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's trying to access Internet for some reason for that Widget. Allowing Internet access to vCenter resolved it for me.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
NFerrar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The solution from VMware Support for air-gapped environments is just to point the Update URL at the vCenter, doing this does produce a warning in VAMI about an invalid update URL but the settings change saves the new URL and the widget loads instantly now

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MerlevedeN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tried giving the vCenter more RAM or CPU?

Do you meet the requirements? https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/8.0/vsphere-vcenter-upgrade/GUID-752FCA83-1A9B-499E-9C65-D...

0 Kudos
NFerrar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah, they're either or small or medium sized (aligned with the VCF design guidance) and they aren't stressed at all, it's just the widget takes ages to display. Is it quick (a few seconds) to display for you? Wanted to confirm if it's just our deployments or a common thing before deciding whether to raise an SR or not.

0 Kudos
MandeepJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@NFerrar Found any solution or any word from support yet? We are seeing similar issue.

0 Kudos
NFerrar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nope, hadn't actually gotten around to raising an SR but have now, thanks for the reminder 😉 Will update the thread with what they come back with

0 Kudos
MandeepJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's trying to access Internet for some reason for that Widget. Allowing Internet access to vCenter resolved it for me.

0 Kudos
NFerrar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think you're on to something there, Support's response to my SR was a request to send them the details of the Update settings in VAMI and going in to check them takes about over 2 minutes before the Settings button is available. This deployment is air-gapped though so it won't ever have Internet access (even via a proxy) so waiting on Support to confirm if there's an alternative config I can put in place (e.g. point it at a local dummy repo - we don't need an actual update repo as it's VCF on VxRail so we update vSphere components via SDDC Manager).

0 Kudos
NFerrar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The solution from VMware Support for air-gapped environments is just to point the Update URL at the vCenter, doing this does produce a warning in VAMI about an invalid update URL but the settings change saves the new URL and the widget loads instantly now