VMware Cloud Community
tim427
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter upgrade from 6.5 to 6.7 fails (Content Library phase)

Hi all,

I'm trying to upgrade vCenter 6.5 to 6.7. Phase 1 goes pretty well, no issues. Phase 2 fails everytime.

1. all esxi hosts are NTP-synced
  2. all esxi hosts are DNS-registered including PTR
  3. current vcenter is NTP-synced
  4. current vcenter is DNS-registered including PTR

I'v tried multiple paths for upgrading;

1. Upgrade from a client by mounting the vcenter ISO and follow the wizard
    1. Installing via the vcenter
    2. Installing directly on the esxi host that hosts the vcenter
  2. Installing from a client by mounting the vcenter ISO and install it, running Phase 2 directly via https://[new-vcenter-ip]:5480/
    1. Installing via the vcenter
    2. Installing directly on the esxi host that hosts the vcenter

Every time the installer fails at 62%;

Screenshot from 2019-06-05 13-31-28.png

Diving in to the logs;

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/vmware-content-library/firstboot/content-library-firstboot.py", line 219, in Main

vdc_fb.register_cis()

File "/usr/lib/vmware-content-library/firstboot/content-library-firstboot.py", line 77, in register_cis

self._reg_info.registerAll(self.get_soluser_id(), self.get_soluser_ownerId())

File "/usr/lib/vmware-content-library/install_lib/cis_register.py", line 368, in registerAll

self.registerUserAndService(user_name, user_id, service)

File "/usr/lib/vmware-content-library/install_lib/cis_register.py", line 395, in registerUserAndService

add_vmtx_privileges(self.vdc_cfg_dir)

File "/usr/lib/vmware-content-library/install_lib/add_vmtx_privileges_after_fb.py", line 105, in add_vmtx_privileges

log("Adding privileges [%s] to role %s" % (' '.join(VMTX_SYNC_PRIVILEGES), cls_admin_role.name))

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'name'

Does someone have a clue?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vicbarra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We had the same issue. This fix it for us.. We deployed this fix on more than one of our upgrades and after the upgrade went just fine.

Log into vCenter as Administrator@vSphere.local the go to Administration - Roles It the Green + to add a new role.

** You MUST name the role (com.vmware.Content.Admin) plus check all the items under Content Library

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

Reboot your vCenter and try the upgrade again.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

This is due to content library admin role (default one) is missing on your 6.5 vcenter.. please open Support Request with VMware

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
vicbarra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We had the same issue. This fix it for us.. We deployed this fix on more than one of our upgrades and after the upgrade went just fine.

Log into vCenter as Administrator@vSphere.local the go to Administration - Roles It the Green + to add a new role.

** You MUST name the role (com.vmware.Content.Admin) plus check all the items under Content Library

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

Reboot your vCenter and try the upgrade again.

tim427
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks! This was actually the problem!

Saved my day​week!

0 Kudos
chilljw1983
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Greetings,

I am having the exact same issue, but the fix is not working for me. I am managing an infrastructure that has three vCenters linked together and is being managed by a single external PSC. Is this procedure a little different with this configuration?

0 Kudos