VMware Cloud Community
grimsrue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter upgrade Stage 2 root password???

Problem: Upgrading a vCenter from 6.7 to 7.0. Stage 2 will not proceed to the "Introduction" screen unless I enter the password for root. When I enter the password I get an error of "Unable to Authorize User"

Troubleshooting: I am able to log into the new 7.x vCenter via SSH with the same root password that I am trying to use for stage 2. I am able to log into the old 6.7 vCenter with the same root password. I have tried upgrading using versions 7.0.3, 7.0.3uA, 7.0.3uC, 7.0.3uD, and I have even gone allllll the way back to 7.0.0. Same problem with all versions.

vCenter is standalone and not hybrid linked.

I have tried changing the root password of the new 7.x vCenter

I have tried starting the applmgr service. 

I have tried using a browser to go directly to the VAMI to start stage 2 and getting the same error

I have looked through a few different logs, but not sure which log I really should be looking at. 

I have done other 7.x vCenter upgrades in the past and I do not remember Stage 2 actually asked me for the root password to get to the "Introduction" screen that I remember. Once stage 1 finished and I hit continue it has usually taken me directly to the Stage 2 introduction screen.

The vCenter appliance VM is sitting on a cluster that is managed by the vCenter that I am trying to upgrade. I guess that is the only odd thing.

Anyone else every run into this issue? Below is a screen shot of what I see immediately when I go to Stage 2

grimsrue_0-1649536587567.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ObjectifDubai
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Instead of the root account, shouldn't you use the administrator account?

0 Kudos
grimsrue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Probably, but all I am being presented with is the “root” account and it does not give me the option to change it. 

0 Kudos