VMware Cloud Community
MrHoek
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter on Windows Server 2012 Core

Dear VMware users,

I made a test environment with Windows Server 2012 GUI and Windows Server 2012 Core.
On both servers I installed the vCenter to see if everything is working properly.

Now both servers are working fine and I can't seem to find a reason why I wouldn't use the Windows core version with a vCenter.
Is there someone else who can give me a reason or point out documentation why I should not use vCenter in combination with Windows Server 2012 core?

Also I would love to hear if there are other users who are working on the same way I do, any feedback would be more then welcome since I couldn't find any related information.

Kind regards,
Martijn

5 Replies
RyanH84
Expert
Expert

Hi,

I've checked the VMware Compatibility guide quite a lot recently and I've not been able to find anywhere that says that server core is supported for any version of vCenter Server. The most it says that is supported is for Datacenter and standard edition, no mention of Core.

Here is a screenshot I took just now. Looking at the other versions of Windows Server, no where does it ever mention server core as a supported variant. The question is, is this in a home lab scenario or a production environment?  If it's home lab and not a big issue if you have problems, then I'd say run with it. If it is production, I'd re-align your setup to match support requirements.

I was tempted to try it in my home lab but gave up and went the route of vCSA instead. I hope this helps?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Regards, Ryan vExpert, VCP5, VCAP5-DCA, MCITP, VCE-CIAE, NPP4 @vRyanH http://vRyan.co.uk
MrHoek
Contributor
Contributor

Dear RyanH84,

First of all thank for your comment.

The testing is done in a test-lab, but the reason why I'm curious for Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition Core is because the following points:

So I did the installation and everything is running smoothly, I don't see any problem.
But just like you clearly are pointing out to me, there most be a reason why it ain't on the VMware Compatibility guide.

This is the reason why I created this topic to see if other people have experience with this kind of situation, or that there are people who gonna say "I tried it, but because this and this reason I recommend you not to do it as well"

But you are telling me that because its not on the VMware Compatibility guide I shall not try to use it for that reason. Thank you :smileygrin:

Kind regards,
Martijn

RyanH84
Expert
Expert

Hi,

You make great points towards having Server Core, I agree totally. The reduced footprint (especially for a home lab) is really appealing.

I think many people, like you, have tried it in a lab scenario. It would be brave to do anything beyond that I think.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Regards, Ryan vExpert, VCP5, VCAP5-DCA, MCITP, VCE-CIAE, NPP4 @vRyanH http://vRyan.co.uk
0 Kudos
MrHoek
Contributor
Contributor

Dear RyanH84,

Some missing information I forgot to mention is, when you install vCenter in a Windows Server 2012 Core, it is possible to switch between Core and GUI.

So that is what I tried and it worked successfully to switch between the Core and GUI and I did not find any issue, everything was still working fine.
The only down-side to mention is the reboot server, but I don't see that as a big problem.

If Ill find the time tomorrow I will open a ticket to hear the opium from VMware it self.
Maybe they can give a clear reason why it's not supported.

Kind regards,
Martijn

0 Kudos
Pnatel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi MrHoek,

Did you ever got an answer from VMware about the core installation?

0 Kudos