VMware Cloud Community
P4thos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter is not showing distributed switche after a host has been added

Dear Communities,

We have a vCenter which management several hosts.

This morning, I have added a new host which was managed by an old vCenter to that vCenter.

Everything is ok, Host and VM are running but regarding the network tab, I don't see the distributed switches of that Host and we don't see the network adapter of the VM.

Is it normal ? Why I don't see the distributed switch ?

Is there a way to retrieve the network configuration of the Host to push it on the vCenter ? ( of course, I can't restart the ESX host ... )

Thanks in advance for helping

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cyberfed2727
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Distributed switches are created in vCenter and then applied to hosts.

A host will retain its dvswitch information even if it is disconnected from a vcenter but it will remain in a frozen state.

Since you brought the host from a different vcenter the new vcenter has no knowledge of this dvswitch.

You will have to create a new dvswitch on your new vcenter and reattach your host to it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
cyberfed2727
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Distributed switches are created in vCenter and then applied to hosts.

A host will retain its dvswitch information even if it is disconnected from a vcenter but it will remain in a frozen state.

Since you brought the host from a different vcenter the new vcenter has no knowledge of this dvswitch.

You will have to create a new dvswitch on your new vcenter and reattach your host to it.

0 Kudos
P4thos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok Thanks.

I thought vCenter would retrieve the dvswitch configuration from the host.

To avoid this case, it could be fine to export dvswitch configuration. Then, in case of need it can be imported !

0 Kudos