VMware Cloud Community
Wizzard005
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter install breaks MKS Internal error on my VM's (latest version 6)

Aloha Guys,

I though I was doing good but there are a few things I can not get to work with vcenter. After installing vcenter i can no longer connect to my VM's, I get the error "unable to connect to MKS: Internal error

I think it has something to do with the FQDN, but i have no idea what the problem is.  I am able to connect to my vcenter from outside location , so i know the dns is pointing, but when i installed the vcenter, it kept failing when i tried to put my domain there,

EG  vcenter.mydomain.com   it fails on the install,  if i do the install again with the IP of the vcenter server it works, but my MKS break......

Anyone have any idea what i am missing? I have my router set up for port 80 and 443...

Thanks all

PS. Side note, If i uninstall vcenter, (delete it) reboot esxi server,  my MKS's work again....

0 Kudos
4 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ensure that the vCenter Server is installed on a machine that has a resolvable fully qualified domain name (FQDN). To check that the FQDN is resolvable, type nslookup your_vCenter_Server_fqdn at a command line prompt. If the FQDN is resolvable, the nslookup command returns the IP and name of the domain controller machine.

above quote is taken from vSphere DNS requirements documentation.

there's a requirement of forward and reverse lookup both to be properly set before you begin installation of vCenter server, make sure that your windows host is member of AD domain, and running with static IP. is your vCenter server meeting all these?

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
Wizzard005
Contributor
Contributor

I was installing it from the linus installer, running the html  VCSA setup... I do not have a windows server on my network.  This was my test setup before i deploy it at my customers location.  Do you happen to have the doc to set it up on a windows server?

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

ok, so in your case it's VCSA 6 that you are deploying.

please refer http://www.virtxpert.com/installing-vmware-vcenter-server-appliance-6-0-vcsa/

the initial part of this post is talking about create DNS records, Host to IP and IP to host, please make sure that you have done that correctly.

if you are using DNS services based on linux OS, please created host and pointer records accordingly so both the way name resolution works.

rest of the process would remain same, see if that helps.

Regarding windows based vCenter server, you got to download separate ISO, which is dedicated vCenter windows installer.

and follow documentation link as bellow

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-601-instal...

chapter 7 and 8 from this guide would help you install vCenter on windows

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
Wizzard005
Contributor
Contributor

hey guys, i think i figured it out. I have to delete the vm from invertory, and then re-add it in vcenter, now both errors SSL or cant find MKS are fixed, or it seems that way.  On to the rest of the testing....

0 Kudos