VMware Cloud Community
rvieira
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter in another Site

Hi,

I am looking to move my vCenter Server to our Branch Office instead of the Main office. We are looking to use the Branch Office for BC/DR solution and everything I research basically requires a vCenter in the DR site. I know I will not lose any functionality with the Cluster in the Main Office but what sort of issues should I be concerned with or looking for with having the vCenter Server in the Branch office? Below is out setup

Main Office:

1 Data center

2 Host in

1 Cluster with about 30 VMs

Branch Office:

1 Data Center

1 Host about 10 VMs

Using Site to Site ipsec VPN each site with 10 Mbs or better connection.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

For simplicity you may consider deploying a VCSA in the ROBO site using Essentials licensing (really inexpensive nowadays).  That way you can still deploy VMs from template, etc.  However, if you do go with the single vCenter for both data centers, that will totally work too.

Currently, it's totally supported and the following awesome whitepaper shows some hard numbers to help you review what happens under the hood with VC to Host communication across geographically dispersed Remote Office / Branch Offices:

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMW-WP-Performance-vCenter.pdf

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Jayden56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

your plan seems good , I will suggest please share host configuration of both site.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't really see the reason for placing the vCenter Server in the branch office. With only a single host in the branch office, you can do most things by connecting from the vSphere Client directly to the host. You'd probably have more issues with the main site without the vCenter Server in case the connection is down.

And if you even need the vCenter Server in the branch location - if the main site is down - you could deploy a vCenter Server Appliance in less than 30 minutes.

André

0 Kudos
sajal1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello rvieira,

Can you please explain a bit more about what is required? What I understand and assume is:

You have two sites (main and branch).

You want to use the Branch site as a BC/DR site for the Main site.

Now for this situation couple of possibilities are there.

A. Use SRM for building a DR solution. In this case to create a SRM setup you would need vCenter at both the sites (to create a pair).

B. Use vSphere replication for DR situation. In that case you do not need vCenter in the branch site.

Looking at the configuration, I assume right now you have vCenter in the Main site managing both the sites (otherwise there would be no Datacenter in the branch site).

In this case you really do not need any vCenter in the branch site. Simply use vSphere replication to take replicated backups in the Branch site and if primary goes down simply bring them up in the Branch site.

Since you have only one host in the Branch site in the case of Main site failure you would not need vCenter at the branch office as there is only one Host.

Hope this clarifies a bit. let me know if you need more information or if the scenario is different.

0 Kudos
rvieira
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I understand this but most BC/DR require either 2 vCenters or the vCenter int he DR site. Since my Branch office is going to be the DR site, best practice would have the branch office house the vCenter. We don't want to have to purchase another vCenter license since we only require one for normal operations.

0 Kudos
sajal1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello rvieira,

Generally the best practices vary and depends solely on the environment. Depending on the environment that you have mentioned there is generally no need to have a second vCenter server at the DR site unless you use SRM as DR solution. Also please note since you have only one host in the DR site you do not need vCenter to manage the environment.

Also I was not able to understand the special need of vCenter in the DR site (if you use SRM then you need vCenter at both sites not a single one). A single site vCenter can achieve a DR with vSphere Replication but then again for that it would be suggested to have a vCenter in the Primary site.

May be I did not understand any underlying requirement or something that I am not aware of about your environment but otherwise that is the general best practice considering your environment.

grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

For simplicity you may consider deploying a VCSA in the ROBO site using Essentials licensing (really inexpensive nowadays).  That way you can still deploy VMs from template, etc.  However, if you do go with the single vCenter for both data centers, that will totally work too.

Currently, it's totally supported and the following awesome whitepaper shows some hard numbers to help you review what happens under the hood with VC to Host communication across geographically dispersed Remote Office / Branch Offices:

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMW-WP-Performance-vCenter.pdf